What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 locked up!

Surfer01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We purchased the iPad 2 in November 2011 so out of warranty. I switched on the iPad as per normal and it functioned okay. As I wanted to switch off, I double pressed the Home button. It then went into the mode to show you the applications where you swipe them off to close them down. I then noticed the black outline of a square. It show thick black borders however you could see the screen in it. I was unable to swipe off the open applications or clsoe them down. I pressed the off button anyway and it closed down the unit.
Later I went to switch it on and the screen came up with the message to slide to open. However when I try this, the black box appears again and the instruction is enclosed in the black box outline like it is being highlighted. I have done a system reset by holding down the Home button and the on off button and updating the software, but after all this has been done, it is still the same and I cannot open the iPad. I cannot use the slide to power off as it is unresponsive.
Can any one advise what else I can do as I am a bit frustrated at the moment? Thanks.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any way you can take a picture of what you're seeing? I just can't seem to understand what is happening on your iPad...

And, could you tell us what iPad generation you have, what iOS is it running and is it jail broken?

Very odd description - so I'm afraid we'll need more (well, I do, anyway :) ).

Marilyn

OP
S

Surfer01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way you can take a picture of what you're seeing? I just can't seem to understand what is happening on your iPad...

And, could you tell us what iPad generation you have, what iOS is it running and is it jail broken?

Very odd description - so I'm afraid we'll need more (well, I do, anyway :) ).

Marilyn

I did a system restore on the iPad plus the update, but did not download anything from iCloud this time around and the iPad 2 is now functional with the latest OS. It seems that whatever was causing the issue is in the "Settings" in iCloud.
Although I have it up and running as it was a system restore everything was cleared away. I want to download all the apps I purchased etc plus contacts from iCloud but as I did not do it when I started up the iPad after system restore, I don't know how to downlaod from iCloud. Thanks for the assistence.

Most reactions