What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 auto sleep function: magnetic vs button

cvondetten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok i may be a little OCD but heres the thing. Ive only just got my ipad 2 a few weeks ago and have had it in a case that doesnt have the magnets to operate the auto sleep/wake function and have been using the button on top to put it to sleep and wake it up.

I am seriously considering the iROO LS Ipad 2 case as it is very slim, has the magnets that will operate the sleep/wake function, and it looks great with lots of colours to choose but its a little pricey. My question is that what would be best to prolong the life of my ipad. The magnetic case or by using the button on top.

will the magnets in the case cover damge the ipad in the long run or not. or is there a chance that using the button over time may result in damage to the ipad2 ie the button itself.

I need a second opinion, I can never make up my mind.

Thanks and i would appreciate useful replies.

thanks again

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My case has the magnets, and was in the habit of slipping open. In consequence, the iPad could be completely discharged by the time I came to use it. I turned off the sleep/wake function. It's nearly a year old now and the hardware buttons are standing up OK. I wouldn't worry about it. The iPad is well made.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only thing I find very iritating with the magnet case,is that when you are busy on your pad and you move the case in a certain way,the ipad locks itself.Even if the front cover is folded backwards.

rlapoint

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I too have a book style case with magnets. Works well until I fold the cover behind it and it turns the ipad off (sleep). I just disabled the feature and use the power button or let it sleep by itself.

OP
C

cvondetten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it seems as though many ppl have the magnetic cases but still use the top button to put their ipads to sleep. ive got a hard shell case from extreme mac, but its a little lacking in that it only gives so much protection. tomorrow im gonna get the ipad2 case from ifrogz. it looks better and provides more protection though i must check again as it couldve been the one for the ipad 1.
either way the reason im gonna change the case is that the 'book' shaped case im using right now makes plugging and unplugging the charger cable quite a tricky thing, the plug being so small and my fingers a little big.

between the belkin hard shell case and the ifrogz which would be better?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the iPad2 Smart Cover. It is very convenient. I'm in a large Symphony Chorus and I use the iPad2 to keep my music score. During performance, having the smart cover is very convenient. I disable the auto-lock when in performance so that the smart opens and closes my iPad.

Since I have had the original iPad, I learned that when I'm finished with the iPad, I press the sleep button (on/off switch) but I press the home button to turn it on. If I didn't have the smart cover on my iPad2, I would still sleep it by pressing that button and wake it again by pressing the home button. I don't have a smart cover for my New iPad, but I do have it in a portfolio case. The back of the case is a hard plastic material and makes the sleep button hard to get to, so I only press the sleep button to sleep the new iPad and press the home button to awaken it. I'm saying this several times because like the original OP, at first I was concerned with pushing buttons and wearing them out with constant use. BUT (knock on wood) the sleep and the home buttons have withstood the daily wear of being pushed without failure. I believe this will be the same experience on the iPad 2 and the new iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts