What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ip camera via ipad1

Madmaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to access an ip camera eg security Web based camera via an ipad1?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the camera is on a local network, you can usually access it via Safari with the IP address. Whether the access will be via a secured link or not depends on the camera and its settings.

Failing that, check the App Store. Look for the manufacturer of the camera model.

There is no way to directly feed a video signal to the iPad.

OP
M

Madmaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, yes have tried to contact the remote camera via ip address but no luck yet - has anyone managed to do this and if so what port settings etc worked?

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried IPCamViewer or perhaps either FRCAM or BVCAM? What make of camera? That might help. If you have access to a PC, then iSpy seems to work well and may help to understand what is required.

I have a small ipcamera (FREDI L17) ideally to watch our wild hedgehogs, although this year they seem to have vanished. A strange thing I have not understood yet is that while it has an ip address, I cannot access it directly. I have to go via my router wifi.

OP
M

Madmaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Camera is a Wanview Cloud Q5 IP camera
Trouble I am having is confirming the IP address of the camera - anyone have any tricks for this, say from a PC?
As for using the IPAD, the issue is that it is an original IPAD 1, so can't get any apps to run on IOS6
Expect I am asking impossible question but would like to able to use this IPAD before throwing in the bin...

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for device info. There are several youtube videos on connecting Wansview IP cameras to iPhones (and hence iPads), but probably you have already explored these. (I have not watched the videos myself.)

To confirm the IP address, see if you can use Fing or iNetTools apps, for example on your iPad; there are other apps that scan the IP addresses used. There are many similar (free) tools for PCs: Try searching for 'IP scanners for Windows'.

It maybe that like my Fredi, you have to go through your router and hence may only be able to see the IP address by accessing your router. (For Fredi, I did wonder whether this is a security measure; as others nearby cannot see the IP address, they do not know it is there. BTW, one scan I did of my Wifi suggested that my neighbour has an IP connected fridge! I haven't asked him about it yet... but it wouldn't surprise me.)

It may take a while to get the camera going, well that is my limited experience, so don't dispose of the iPad or Q5 in a hurry. Hopefully other better suggestions will be forthcoming.

OP
M

Madmaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - have gone a different way and bought a 3rd party display driver board that I plug in the ipad display (i.e. took the ipad apart and just using the screen))
Can now access the ipad display as an extra external monitor which is what I need in my observatory to show what the ip camera is pointed at
Keith

Most reactions

Latest posts