What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 9 announced

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Twerppoet, I cannot find slideover, can you expand on what it is, thanks.

SciFan has already answered this for me, but I'll expand on it a bit anyway, because it's such an interesting feature.

There are two new multitask modes; Slideover and Split View. Well, three, if you consider picture-in-picture.

Slide over gives you an appearance of another app in your main app. It takes up about a quarter of the screen on the right side (in landscape view), and as the name implies you slide it over from that edge of the screen; similar to how you pull the Notification Center and Control Center from the top and bottom of the screen. To begin with you'll probably only see Apple's native apps and a few other's supported; however Apple has said that any developer that supports the iPhone 6, and has used the new auto-layout tools should find it trivial to add this capability to their apps.

Side View gives you two full apps running side by side. Everything the apps can do in full screen should be supported in Sideview. Unlike Slideover it should already support most apps, and you can adjust how much of the screen each apps gets.

Slideover will work on the iPad Air and Mini 2, and newer devices.

Sideview will only work on the iPad Air 2 at this time.

As other's have noted this is probably due to the extra RAM in the iPad Air 2, but it's probably also because it's a ridiculously over powered device. Well, it was until now. I guess Apple had some reasons for beefing up the iPad Air 2's specs.

My guess it's the two features will break down this way.

Slideover will be mostly for dealing with quick tasks without having to leave your current app: answer a message, check a new email, jot a quick note, look up a location, etc.

Sideview will be for more serious, long term, multitasking. Say you're doing research and want to keep both a browser and your note taking app open, or the book you're reading and a note app, or the book you're reading and a translation/dictionary app open. There are lots of possibilities here.

Note: PiP (Picture in Picture) will let you continue watching a video or a Facetime call while using another app. PiP will work on the same devices as Slideover.

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As other's have noted this is probably due to the extra RAM in the iPad Air 2, but it's probably also because it's a ridiculously over powered device. Well, it was until now. I guess Apple had some reasons for beefing up the iPad Air 2's specs.
This tells me that Apple had been working on Slideover and Sideview since before the iPad Air 2 was manufactured and that device was specifically overpowered so it could use these two new features. I believe this is an example of feature/device history and planning.

Go, Apple!

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
SciFan has already answered this for me, but I'll expand on it a bit anyway, because it's such an interesting feature.

There are two new multitask modes; Slideover and Split View. Well, three, if you consider picture-in-picture.

Slide over gives you an appearance of another app in your main app. It takes up about a quarter of the screen on the right side (in landscape view), and as the name implies you slide it over from that edge of the screen; similar to how you pull the Notification Center and Control Center from the top and bottom of the screen. To begin with you'll probably only see Apple's native apps and a few other's supported; however Apple has said that any developer that supports the iPhone 6, and has used the new auto-layout tools should find it trivial to add this capability to their apps.

Side View gives you two full apps running side by side. Everything the apps can do in full screen should be supported in Sideview. Unlike Slideover it should already support most apps, and you can adjust how much of the screen each apps gets.

Slideover will work on the iPad Air and Mini 2, and newer devices.

Sideview will only work on the iPad Air 2 at this time.

My guess it's the two features will break down this way.

Slideover will be mostly for dealing with quick tasks without having to leave your current app: answer a message, check a new email, jot a quick note, look up a location, etc.

Sideview will be for more serious, long term, multitasking. Say you're doing research and want to keep both a browser and your note taking app open, or the book you're reading and a note app, or the book you're reading and a translation/dictionary app open. There are lots of possibilities here.

Note: PiP (Picture in Picture) will let you continue watching a video or a Facetime call while using another app. PiP will work on the same devices as Slideover.
You're right about the limited app selection for slideover and sideview. Basically only Apple apps work with it right now. Well undoubtedly see more additions as iOS 9 moves through the beta process.

This view is great for selecting photos to post here, as you never leave the forum to select the photo.
image.jpg

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You're right about the limited app selection for slideover and sideview. Basically only Apple apple work with it right now. Well undoubtedly see more additions as iOS 9 moves through the beta process.

This view is great for selecting photos to post here, as you never leave the forum to select the photo.
View attachment 65347
Are you able to drag & drop between those two windows?

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SciFan has already answered this for me, but I'll expand on it a bit anyway, because it's such an interesting feature.There are two new multitask modes; Slideover and Split View. Well, three, if you consider picture-in-picture..

Many thanks, sounds like a great feature, may force me to upgrade from my Air (1).
I used the feature in windows, not a lot but was great for reconciling bank statements, it would be nice to have it back again.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not being able to drag and drop makes sense for an IOS device. But can you select and copy? That would make it very functional for lots of people.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not being able to drag and drop makes sense for an IOS device. But can you select and copy? That would make it very functional for lots of people.
Select and copy has been part of iOS for years.

Most reactions

Latest posts