What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8.3 released.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the most important bug fixes, mentioned in the release notes linked to by Johanna is a fix for the bug that caused repeated WiFi disconnects for many users.

OP
Blue92

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I saw that. Just updated both iPhone 5 and iPad 2. Hopefully will have less Wi-Fi drops on the iPad.

An interesting thing I noticed is the available space reported on both devices is @ 2 GB different between the devices and that shown in iTunes.

May have been that way all along and I just didn't notice it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw that. Just updated both iPhone 5 and iPad 2. Hopefully will have less Wi-Fi drops on the iPad.

An interesting thing I noticed is the available space reported on both devices is @ 2 GB different between the devices and that shown in iTunes.

May have been that way all along and I just didn't notice it.
I've noticed the available storage discrepancy myself, even before this latest iOS update.

OP
Blue92

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Too early to tell for sure but I used to have to toggle WiFi off/on fairly often to get a connection.. Didn't have to the few times I've tried it so far.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've noticed the available storage discrepancy myself, even before this latest iOS update.

I believe that his discrepancy between what the iPad reports as available storage and what iTunes states is often discrepant, and has been a constant complaint for years (just do some googling) - NOW, why this is so seems to be unclear (and I'd love to know -;))?

As an example, I updated my 64 GB iPad Air 2 a few days ago - the reported total & free storage is quoted below - both the iPad & my MBPro w/ iTunes shows an iPad w/ 55.9 GB of total storage, BUT a 5+ GB discrepancy in my 'free' storage - don't know why. This iPad was just updated to iOS 8.3 (and I routinely 'Reset' after an update/upgrade).

Now, I have several apps on the iDevice that includes DeviceStats which reports a value of 26.3 GB free, i.e. in-between the quoted amounts below - scratching my head! Dave :)

iPad - 55.9 GB total w/ 24.3 GB free
iTunes - 55.9 GB total w/ 29.9 GB free

P.S. For those who may be wondering why my 64 GB iPad is reporting only 55.9 GB - the answer is that a 'Byte is not a Byte' and depends on whether the calculation is based on a base 10 vs. base 2 calculation - using base 10, 1 GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes; however w/ base 2, 1 GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes - thus, dividing 64 by 1.074 = 59.6; yes, another discrepancy which likely relates to the space occupied by the iOS - this indeed can be confusing - :eek:

P.S.S. as to my first P.S., more information HERE.

Last edited:

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just updated. All fine. Took about 15 minutes.

Just wish Apple would display percentage done rather than the moving bar. Sometimes I'm sure it has locked when the bar moves so slowly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Blue92

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seen nothing strange with 8.3 yet although it appears the WiFi fix didn't solve my minor issue.

It only happens when the device "sleeps" for a while and does not connect again when I wake it up again. Maybe be a power saving "feature" and not a bug.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's normal for WiFi to turn off when the iPad is asleep and not plugged into the charger. It is a power saving feature. It should connect to WiFi again when the iPad wakes up.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check your router to make sure it's firmware is up to date. This kind of thing is often caused by a combination of device and router; which makes it really hard to track down and solve.

Also, if you have not done so lately, restart your router.

Most reactions