What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5's New Speech-to-Text Feature May Not be Coming to the iPad

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
speech_to_text_iOS_5.JPG

9to5 Mac reports today that it has been sent a screenshot from iOS 5’s forthcoming speech-to-text feature by what it refers to as “a reliable sourceâ€. The screenshot shows how the Nuance-powered speech-to-text function will be activated in iOS 5, and it appears to operate in a very similar way to the Android speech-recognition feature. Basically, you just touch the microphone icon to the left of the “space†bar, and talk away. As soon as you start talking, you’ll see another screen appear with a larger microphone icon, indicating that recording is taking place. When you stop talking, you’ll be returned to the original view, and the words that you have just spoken will then be shown in the text box. 9to5 Mac also reports that it has heard from its sources that the speech-to-text feature is only planned to be available for iPhone and iPod touch, and not for iPad, which seems a little strange, to say the least!

Source: iOS 5′s Nuance-powered speech-to-text feature revealed (screenshots) | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why, if it's built into the iOS would it not be available on the iPad? Hype?

Sent from Wales, using my iPad & iPF.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FabledPoet said:
I need to know!

I used to have a paid @me.com apple mail account, money got tight so I had to cancel it. Will I get it back when ios5 comes out with the same I.D.?

In which way is this related to a news item about speech to text......have you read the rules regarding thread hijacking!

The Archangel

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
speech_to_text_iOS_5.JPG

9to5 Mac reports today that it has been sent a screenshot from iOS 5’s forthcoming speech-to-text feature by what it refers to as “a reliable sourceâ€. The screenshot shows how the Nuance-powered speech-to-text function will be activated in iOS 5, and it appears to operate in a very similar way to the Android speech-recognition feature. Basically, you just touch the microphone icon to the left of the “space†bar, and talk away. As soon as you start talking, you’ll see another screen appear with a larger microphone icon, indicating that recording is taking place. When you stop talking, you’ll be returned to the original view, and the words that you have just spoken will then be shown in the text box. 9to5 Mac also reports that it has heard from its sources that the speech-to-text feature is only planned to be available for iPhone and iPod touch, and not for iPad, which seems a little strange, to say the least!

Source: iOS 5′s Nuance-powered speech-to-text feature revealed (screenshots) | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Ha....didn't they also say this about multi-gesture's... ;) and look what happened :D

Most reactions

Latest posts