What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5 and email

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was under the impression that once I upgraded to IOS 5, that I would be able to create folders in the email program. However, I can not see how that is done?...anyone?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the Mail app, select Edit. Then select any e-mails you wish to flag (you'll know they are selected because you'll get a red check mark inside the circle and the butons at the bottom will not be faded).

One of the buttons at the bottom should be "Mark(x)." Press that button and you should get a pop-up that will have "Flag" as an option. Press it and your e-mail(s) will be flagged.

Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
P

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In the Mail app, select Edit. Then select any e-mails you wish to flag (you'll know they are selected because you'll get a red check mark inside the circle and the butons at the bottom will not be faded).

One of the buttons at the bottom should be "Mark(x)." Press that button and you should get a pop-up that will have "Flag" as an option. Press it and your e-mail(s) will be flagged.

Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Thanks for the response, but what I was under the impression that I could make folders within the email app. In other words, when I pay my bills online, I would like to have a folder named "electric bill" in the email app. I thought this feature would be available in IOS 5.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First off - let me apologize for my inability to read. Dunno why I saw "flag" versus "folder." Well, at least you know how to make flags, yeah? Sorry... :eek:

For the folders. Now, I've only done this with my Gmail account (which was set up in Setting under the Gmail link, not as an Exchange account). And, this does NOT work with POP accounts (well, with my RoadRunner account, anyway).

With those caveats:

Go to your Mail app. Tap all the way back until you are as far back as you can be (there should be no more buttons to press and at the top it should say "Mailboxes").

Go to the second box, titled "Accounts." Select one (I'm going to assume it has to be an IMAP account..., so I picked Gmail). When the account opens, at the upper right should be an "Edit" button. Pressing that will reveal another button, which is titled "New Mailbox." Pressing that button will give you another screen, where you will be able to type in the name of your new folder and also be able to select where to place it.

After you are done, you should be able to see the new folder. Well, at least I did.

So, give those instructions a try. Please let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

awboxster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I had the same problem and have found that I can only add folders on my gmail account and not any of my pop accounts...odd eh? and a little bit frustrating!.....Anyway thanks for the information.

Adrian

OP
P

Pauley

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Mickey330. I did try what you said, but I do not see an edit button when I get there. I use both Comcast and gmail. I do know about going to the web site for both of them and create folders there. I have done this with gmail and that is not a problem. However, it can not be done with Comcast.

When I read about all the new features of IOS 5, I read that we could not create email folders on the fly.... However, I haven't yet found a way to do this....

It's probably me.... (grinz)

Most reactions

Latest posts