What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ios 5.1

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
alexm1 said:
Thanks for the input, Installed 5.1 today and so far so good, as others have said much smoother, no memory issues, calendar issue fixed.

Is there wifi hotspot available like on the iphone?

Last edited:
OP
alexm1

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Semel said:
Is there wifi hotspot available like on the iphone?

Not sure, I cannot find any reference to wifi hotspot in the settings so perhaps not. I am not familiar with the iPhone, sorry.

TexSpider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two days now since upgrade on my iPad 1--not a single Safari crash so far. A very remarkable improvement, and welcome.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed that my iPhone connects to my Verizon Mobile Hot Spot much faster.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

alijafri72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
maryinredding said:
Mine will not update over the air. Any of you having trouble with this???

I've been trying to update to 5.1 but all I get is a "checking for update..." notice that goes on for a minute or two and then it says it cannot update. Previously, before the 5.1 release it said that I have the latest version. What's up with that? I'm thinking it cold be because of my geographical location which is Pakistan. Maybe Apple hasn't quite gotten around to offer updates for this part of the world yet.

Sent from my iPad original using iPF

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
maryinredding said:
Mine will not update over the air. Any of you having trouble with this???

My iPad 1 and iPhone 4s updated wirelessly perfectly.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

Androidfonefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took the leap. Needed 5x to run Airport Utility only to find out that it does little to nothing. I had the impression it let you see and adjust router settings from the IP2 but it only shows the router settings in little bitty windows. Had I known that was all it did I would have not gone through all the trouble of upgrading to 5x.
Had my pad all set up, took for ever to do the update because my modem kept dropping signal. Lost some Apps with the update and I'm still figuring out what didn't come back after it was done.
Still looks the same and works the same. Seriously, I don't see that enough changed that it all couldn't have been done with a OTA update or two.
Question? Does Apple use OTA updates or do they all have to be done through a pc and cable?

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took the leap. Needed 5x to run Airport Utility only to find out that it does little to nothing. I had the impression it let you see and adjust router settings from the IP2 but it only shows the router settings in little bitty windows. Had I known that was all it did I would have not gone through all the trouble of upgrading to 5x.
Had my pad all set up, took for ever to do the update because my modem kept dropping signal. Lost some Apps with the update and I'm still figuring out what didn't come back after it was done.
Still looks the same and works the same. Seriously, I don't see that enough changed that it all couldn't have been done with a OTA update or two.
Question? Does Apple use OTA updates or do they all have to be done through a pc and cable?

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

OTA updates are available to users who'd updated to iOS 5 previously.

This update didn't offer much for most. (Battery fix for some seemed like the main thing, but forum users are reporting no change or diminished battery, it seems.)

It wasn't advertised as a feature, but some users (me included) have noticed fewer Safari and other app crashes since IOS 5.1. After upgrading to iOS 5, some had experienced frequent RAM-related crashes.

I've had minor probs with updates in past (apps being scrambled, iBooks being deleted) but this upgrade was quick and pain free for me OTA on five iDevices, plus my husband's iPhone.

Androidfonefan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I guess the update I had before was not 5.1 because I just got it and installed OTA.
Must have been 5. Something though because Airport Utility needed the update to work.

camaroz1985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My battery life seems to be worse after the update to 5.1. I have reset using the lock button and home button, and it still seems to be going through the battery much quicker.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My battery life seems to be worse after the update to 5.1. I have reset using the lock button and home button, and it still seems to be going through the battery much quicker.

Try draining your battery and charging to 100 percent in case your battery indicator is acting up.

Apple recommends draining once a month to keep the indicator accurate. Maybe the firmware upgrade has scrambled the indicator.

Most reactions

Latest posts