What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 12 speed boosts?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple cites such things as faster keyboard popping-out and faster swipe to the camera.
While I appreciate these things being faster, it doesn’t help me to see how much faster my actual work will be. On the Mac side, I’m used to seeing comparisons on a handful of real-world tasks, usually involving Photoshop, iTunes ripping, maybe cine bench scores.

Is there nothing for iOS that can provide this kind of comparison data?

In other words, after I’ve experienced the wonder that is iOS 12, zipping and flying about the OS and newly-pumped-out apps, what will my / anyone’s work be like?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
From what I remember it did not sound like Apple is making major speed improvements to the graphics and audio API’s, so I doubt the apps that depend on them will show tremendous improvement in redering graphics or processing audio.

What they are doing is improving the responce time and reliablity of the user interface. So, you’ll spend less time waiting for the iPad to responde and switch apps; but about the same waiting for computationaly intense tasks to finish.

I expect there will be some improvement ot the things you are talking about. Apple tweaks those API’s pretty much ever year. They made some big improvements in graphics and API’s the previous few years, but it does not sound like they are making ground breaking speed improvements this year.

Keep in mind that unless you are eding large photos or incoding video/audio, you’ll probably see more time saving with a snappier UI than beefier graphics and audio support.

The next Keynote is the 12th, probably to announce new iPhones, and set a release date for iOS 12. They may say something then.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ok, good to know. thank you for your response.

I’m already very impressed with the performance of both the platform, and with the elegant efficiency of the workflow; in many ways it spanks even fast Macs.

I always prefer under-the-hood improvements over “sexy new features.” the move to something like a real, grown-up file management tool last autumn was a *huge* improvement, to me.

cheers!

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
yeah, that was the scuttlebutt last spring..should be pretty exciting..

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The keynote is that the iPad 2018 is coming.

iPhones are expected, because they almost always announce the new ones this time of year. iPads are possible, but sometimes Apple has a different event for iPads later in the year, or even in the Spring. There is a lot of speculation, but Apple almost never announces what a keynote will be about. Not even hints, beyond the usual cryptic wording and graphics of the invitation.

That said, there have been fairly credible leaks of both iPhone and iPad hardware this year. I expect iPads to be at least mentioned, if not immediatly available for sale.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
remember on the eve of the cube announcement...IIRC a security guard spilled the beans, Jobs supposedly livid about it.

Most reactions

Latest posts