What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inverse "mark email as read" functionality

sdf34sdf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys

I would like to know if there is a way to inverse the functionality of marking emails as read. If I receive an email and read it, it gets marked as read automatically. If I want it to be marked as unread I have to hit the "mark as unread" button.

It would like it to be the other way around - the email stays unread until I mark it as read or delete it.

I hope you get what I am trying to explain.
Thanks in advance!

maray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem- on ipad, even when I have not read emails, they are automatically marked as read once they download.
Thank you for any help!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I would like to know if there is a way to inverse the functionality of marking emails as read. If I receive an email and read it, it gets marked as read automatically. If I want it to be marked as unread I have to hit the "mark as unread" button.

It would like it to be the other way around - the email stays unread until I mark it as read or delete it.

I hope you get what I am trying to explain.
Thanks in advance!

AFAIK, there isn't a setting such as you suggest. However as you mentioned, you can change the status of any or all of your emails. When viewing your email, click on the "Edit" button (upper left-hand corner) and tap each email that you'd like to mark (read or unread). Then tap "Mark" at the bottom of the same column. There you change the status to "Unread".

I have the same problem- on ipad, even when I have not read emails, they are automatically marked as read once they download.
You could try changing your preview settings. Open the Settings App on your iPad. Tap "Mail, Contacts, Calendars". Tap "Preview". Tap "None".

Hope that helps!

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AFAIK, there isn't a setting such as you suggest. However as you mentioned, you can change the status of any or all of your emails. When viewing your email, click on the "Edit" button (upper left-hand corner) and tap each email that you'd like to mark (read or unread). Then tap "Mark" at the bottom of the same column. There you change the status to "Unread".

That sounds a complicated way of doing things.
I just open the message and if I want to leave it as unread so I see that when I get to my office PC I just touch the "mark" button next to the subject line and select "mark as unread".

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sounds a complicated way of doing things.
I just open the message and if I want to leave it as unread so I see that when I get to my office PC I just touch the "mark" button next to the subject line and select "mark as unread".
Yes, that's good for one message. My note was about marking older, previously read or multiple messages as unread.

Go The All Blacks!! :)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
K1W1 said:
Yes lets discuss matters of life and death rather than just what for many is just a glorified toy (I have my flack jacket on) :)

Soooooo...sing it with me..."We are the champions my friend...". :)

Okay, way off topic here...back to our program already in progress!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
If I understood this thread correctly, it was about marking mail as read. I now seem to have the opposite problem (sort of). As I open and read an individual mailbox's message, it stays marked as unread until I back out a level to my general email page. It never did this until just a day or two ago. Has anyone else seem this change?

Well whatever was causing it is no more. Everything is back to normal.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts