What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting day

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The big news was about the iPhone 4 and the issues being distorted. It sounds like the typical media frenzy like the wifi issues when the iPad first came out. Quite interesting that for something so vilified in the media, 3 million have been sold and they can't make them fast enough. And the buyer's remorse rate is lower than that of the 3GS model.

But there were other things that did not make a big media impact. iPad sales are still going strong and look like they could reach almost 10 million by the end of the year. Facetime is getting a big push from Apple and while they will likely have a camera on the iPad next generation, and upcoming iPod Touch, they may also have a way to add it to the current models.

Also, Apple has applied for a patent on a new dock that allows a device like an iPad to be held both vertically and horizontal. It did not have connector that is standard in most docks, but I could not tell if there was a way to plug the device in, or if it used RF charging like those pads they have out.

Mecread

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my iPhone 4 it's my first iPhone and the two dropped calls I have had has been user error. There is no way I would give it up. Then my aunt told me when the new iPad came out she would by this one... But I am loving it so mush it might be hard.....

I am now looking for a Mac for me and let my 11 year old have my pc

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is definitely a problem with the design and Jobs took swipes at Motorola and RIM whose CEO's deny that their devices have the same problems as the iPhone 4 and there currently isn't any data showing up to rebut them.

Why it was necessary for Jobs to cast dispersions on other manufacturers is beyond me. The people who were most attentive to what he was saying were Apple customers not someone with a Droid X.

It was an extremely poor choice of his to take this tactic.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is definitely a problem with the design and Jobs took swipes at Motorola and RIM whose CEO's deny that their devices have the same problems as the iPhone 4 and there currently isn't any data showing up to rebut them.

Why it was necessary for Jobs to cast dispersions on other manufacturers is beyond me. The people who were most attentive to what he was saying were Apple customers not someone with a Droid X.

It was an extremely poor choice of his to take this tactic.

My respect for Apple and it's products went about three notches down after seeing Jobs try to BS is way out of this problem. As you state, for him to bring other manufactures into his problem is total pathetic. Given a choice today, at this moment i would go buy a Droid if i were in the market. I have a Droid for my work phone and I'm thinking i really really like this phone. I wonder if we'll ever see a Droid Pad someday? I'm thinking we will :p

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agreed. Thought better of Jobs.

Still would buy his products though. Not certain a hissy fit over web media would make me buy a product unless the choice was very finely balanced :)

It's funny, you read all about how the old media is on it's knees and then you see the sort of rubbish they produced .....

JoebinXXX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I honestly dont think that the iphone 4 problems hurt apple all that much... In the history of any company they have all had there ups and downs for sure..Its all in how you handle the downs as a company that impacts your current and future coustomers.. Jobs deff coulda did it a little more subtle and just took full fualt and not threw anyone else under the bus..but lets face it if you wanna be on top you have to impact the competitors.:)

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's funny cause when the nexus one came out the same problem arose when you hold it towards the bottom and sideways. And no body cared! The problem really is not a problem. And apple said what i have been telling my friends since this has been started! All phone do it it's the truth i have known about that for years anyone that knows anything remotely about antennas will agree. And it does not matter that the antenna on the outside of the phone, it does not make it more susceptible to signal loss just easier to activate. And i have made plenty of call while no bars showed!

Most people complaining don't own an iPhone and just want a story. Apples explanation was the only one they could make, not a PR strategy, it's the truth. People just want to hear something dif

The only way people would of been happy is they said, "o we fucked up the phone sucks."

And it usually happens in places with relatively weak signel strength or if your inside of a building. Outside not as dramatic!

And like they said they are not having problems selling the phone.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I genuinely think that Jobs is having a hard time understanding the issue. One one hand, sales are out the window, returns are at the lowest ever, and praise in many circles are lavish. But the media is making a bunch of noise about a statistically insignificant issue. Jobs is wondering why Apple is being chastised so hard about something that is not unusual in the industry. Of course, the other manufacturers are going to deny everything so as to not hurt their sales, but they are taking the wrong tack on the issue. They should be saying, yes, this is a problem if you are not careful, but we have taken great pains to make sure that our customers will never find theirselves holding our phones in a way that interferes with the antenna. Jobs is a design engineer, not a PR man. Like a lot of us, he knows he put out a good product, but they are taking a beating over something with very limited impact. It is not unusual today. In reality, the Toyota acceleration issue was a tempest in a teapot, but that issue dealt with life and death, while this is a matter of convenience.

Most reactions

Latest posts