What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Infinity Blade Soars to Top of Charts Within Hours of Release

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

It looks like that now-legendary tech demo really did the trick, as Epic Games’ and ChAIR Entertainment’s universal iOS title soared straight to the top of the iTunes chart for both iPad and iPhone when it was released today. It takes a special game to knock those angry, seasonal birds off their perch, but Infinity Blade has managed to do just that. Early ratings and reviews from both critics and App Store customers are raving about the game. So far in the UK App Store it has 42 five-star ratings out of a possible 50!

As the first mobile game to be powered by Epic’s cutting-edge Unreal Engine 3, it would have been so disappointing if the actual game had failed to live up to the promise of the astounding tech demo, so it’s exciting to find out that the 3D characters and environments are every bit as spectacular as we’d been led to hope.

Infinity Blade’s storyline centres around the quest of a lone knight to save civilisation by journeying to the Dark Citadel to battle the Titan army of the tyrant God King and end his dictatorial rule.
The effortless controls show that the Unreal Engine 3 is truly adept at handling this new form of action control. All you have to do is swipe your finger to attack, dodge, block and cast spells, and tap to move to explore the castle realm.

What many are saying makes the game so special, aside from the incredible visuals, is the depth of the gameplay, with many different swords, shields, helmets, armor and magic rings to collect and master so that you can level up your character and increase their Attack, Health, Shield and Magic skills.

ChAIR Entertainment promises that updates are on the way, with new locations, a fully integrated multiplayer mode via Game Center, and new swords, shields, helmets, magic rings and enemies to get to grips with.
To find out what all the fuss is about and why IGN said “It just may be the best iPhone game of all timeâ€, click here to download Infinity Blade for £3.49/£5.99:
Infinity Blade for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: iTunes

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only gripe I have with it is you can't move freely, all you can do is click the blue circles. I wish it was like epic citadel, but one can only dream lol.

I give the game a 9.5/10 :)

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad will never be a proper gaming device....no buttons. Without them any game will be gimped somehow

The onscreen buttons just do not work well, and your hand gets in the way. Every touch device prior to the iPad suffered the same fate. Sometimes you just need buttons

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad will never be a proper gaming device....no buttons. Without them any game will be gimped somehow

The onscreen buttons just do not work well, and your hand gets in the way. Every touch device prior to the iPad suffered the same fate. Sometimes you just need buttons

It doesn't seem like you've played this game.

The touch screen is actually very well used for this game... and in fact could never be replicated properly with "buttons." I mean you actually draw the shape of the magic you want to use in battle... not exactly easy with buttons.

Same thing for all the slashing and defensive moves. To me it is FAR easier to remember it like that then to remember which button does what. It almost feels as if you are actually slashing.

Moreover, there are games that use the accelerometer to great effect. So you don't even touch anything on the screen if you don't want to. Real Racing HD is one of them. Combine the accelerometer with a few well placed corner hot spots and you have quite a bit of functionality right there alone.

As for Infinity Blade, it is a great a game no doubt about it. But as Yakuzagang5 said I it is not a free-movement game. Still a fantastic game... and the level of detail is awesome. But I was mistakingly thinking it would be a free-movement game like Epic Cidadal... and there are games like that on the iPad--just not as good graphics (Zombie HD for instance).

But there are pluses to the limited-movement games... some of the "go wherever you want" games get tedious with all that walking and searching for that need-to-find object or whatnot.

I would give infinity blade 4.5 out of 5. Not a 5 mainly because the game play is very linear. I can't seem to "go back." Somehow I ended up facing the level 50 boss character on level 5... very little chance of me beating him at that point. He hit me once and I was down to 50% health. So I died a horrible and embarrassing death and have to start over on level 1. Ugh. :(

Michael

codex82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Somehow I ended up facing the level 50 boss character on level 5... very little chance of me beating him at that point. He hit me once and I was down to 50% health. So I died a horrible and embarrassing death and have to start over on level 1. Ugh. "

have you even played this game? u never start over at level 1, u continue where u left off as far as level, equipment, etc, as your fallen characters son each time 20 some odd years after you died... reviewers stated pre release they were unable to defeat him before the 4th play through, i was very very close on my third playthrough but then got destroyed on the fourth playthrough somehow. this game is fun and looks great, eagerly awaiting DLC

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Somehow I ended up facing the level 50 boss character on level 5... very little chance of me beating him at that point. He hit me once and I was down to 50% health. So I died a horrible and embarrassing death and have to start over on level 1. Ugh. "

have you even played this game? u never start over at level 1, u continue where u left off as far as level, equipment, etc, as your fallen characters son each time 20 some odd years after you died... reviewers stated pre release they were unable to defeat him before the 4th play through, i was very very close on my third playthrough but then got destroyed on the fourth playthrough somehow. this game is fun and looks great, eagerly awaiting DLC

Nah never played. I mean I just bought it to toss in the bit-bucket. :)

And yes I didn't even look at the time at what level I was on, but I could see I was "starting over."

After going through to level 11 it is starting to get repetitive. I thought there would be a little more going on.

Another problem is I ran out of health potions... I wish they had a few more of them stashed around. There are certainly a plethora of bundles of money.

I guess I wasn't quite expecting the later-rinse-repeat style of game play. Definitely would buy it no matter what, but I was thinking it was a bit different than what it actually is. Still fun though.

Michael

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's pretty cool...would be nice if it were more than just a fighter tho.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK now that I have accepted it is not Epic Citadel lol and I am enjoying the game a lot more.

There is a decent amount of of strategy when you get into it--well more like managing.

My complaint about health potions is not really all that valid. I was being wasteful before. And with healing magic it is not so bad and adds another element to the game (you don't get to use magic as quickly as some other games so you have to decide... do I use it for healing or attack, or even defense?). Plus I have put more effort into building up my health since a health potion refills it no matter how much health you can store.

So all in all a really good game, though it is of course a fighter more than anything.

Michael

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I played it through. Despite the repetitive gameplay, it was a very good. By the way, I did it on the fifth run.

One tip, don't always buy the most expensive gear you can afford, take it one step at a time, the lower gear "masters" faster and you get a skill point for each piece of gear that you master.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just mastered it tonight...wish there was a stage 2. God kings son or something to kill next. I'm looking forward to the updates for this app.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I played it through. Despite the repetitive gameplay, it was a very good. By the way, I did it on the fifth run.

One tip, don't always buy the most expensive gear you can afford, take it one step at a time, the lower gear "masters" faster and you get a skill point for each piece of gear that you master.
Yep better to master as much as you can for those skill points. I didn't do it that way but was out yesterday with only my iPhone so started playing it on that. It recognized me from Game Center but my game started from scratch.

This time I didn't run right out and buy stuff... I waited till I had the previous item mastered. Makes a big difference in getting those extra points.

Michael

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Top 5% baby! But I'm going to have to quit it now, I think. I can barely get past the first two guys. Level 39 on bloodline 15.

2dc961c0.png

Most reactions

Latest posts