What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing & Exporting MusicXML files from the Notion app

OldKen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am just about to buy a 32gig iPad 4, mainly to work on music initially composed in Sibelius on my PC. The Notion app looks good for that since Sibelius and Notion will import and export MusicXML files. But, at the last minute, I am having cold feet over the purchase because I see so many requests on the Forum for advice on file transfers. The answers provide methods which verge on alchemy and the use of many stages. Surely, since the info for the Notion app talks about exporting these files as though it is as straightforward as it is in Windows, there has got to be a better way - or am I missing something? I have a laptop and a PC, both running Windows 7, both linked by WiFi to a cable broadband connection.

Please tell me that an iPad 4 with WiFi can talk to these computers and exchange files!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having looked at the Notion website for their iPad app it appears to give two options, one is to email files and the other is to use Dropbox. Dropbox couldn't be simpler, you install the free App/Programme on you ipad and PC then follow this process.....

1) On PC drag the file you want on your iPad to the Dropbox icon.
2) On iPad open Dropbox App and your file will have magically appeared in it.
3) Touch the file and choose open in, you will then get a menu of Apps associated with that file type, choose Notion and the Notion App will automatically open already loaded with you file.

To transfer a file the other way around....

1) on iPad in Notation App with the file open, touch the curly arrow and choose Save To Dropbox option.
2) the file will again magically appear on your PC.

The Archangel

OP
O

OldKen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks Gabriel1. That almost looks easy. At least, it will become so when I've done it a few times. You've given me back my willingness to buy the iPad 4 and for that I am very grateful.

OldKen

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OldKen said:
Wow! Thanks Gabriel1. That almost looks easy. At least, it will become so when I've done it a few times. You've given me back my willingness to buy the iPad 4 and for that I am very grateful.

OldKen

It's just a different way of thinking when using the iPad, we all went through the learning curve at some point but it really doesn't take long to get used to it......and we are always here to help!

The Archangel

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And, to give further reassurance, I use the Notion app and importing/exporting files couldn't be easier. One of the easiest ways I've found is to e-mail the files to myself. Then, I can use the "Open In..." function right from e-mail to get the file(s) to open in Notion. Dropbox also has the ability to have you be able to 'Open In..." from within Dropbox.

Either way, Notion is a pretty handy tool to use on the iPad. So, be reassured - you can get 'stuff" back and forth from your PC to the iPad.

And, just for the heck of it, here's The Archangel's clarification/reassurance in pictures:

The menu to import to Notion:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356868886.629693.jpg

And the menu to export out of Notion

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356868911.951116.jpg

Marilyn

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you "OldKen" for posing this thread. Welcome to the Forum! As you have already experienced this Forum is full or resources like my teammates Mickey and Gabe. When you get a chance please go to our new comers forum and introduce yourself. You'll also find a couple of informative stickies on how to use the Forum.

We also have a Forum for Musicians.

I am thanking you for this thread because I have been encouraging my good friend to use his iPad more often and he had expressed a wish to find an easy take along app that would seem Notion would work very well for him. He has often stated, I wish I had something that I can quickly jot down on sheet music a musical phrase or series of notes that I can recall and explore later.

Based on this thread, I went and looked for Notion in the app store. It has favorable reviews. It does cost a little bit more than your average app. I also noticed a similar app called "Symphony". A bit more expensive than Notion and doesn't have as good a rating has Notion.

I learned something today, and I thank you for your thread OldKen.

OP
O

OldKen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I took the plunge and installed Dropbox on my laptop and my PC. Then exported a piece of music in MusicXML format from Sibelius straight into the PC Dropbox. Then the magic! There it was in the Laptop dropbox and I could have done anything with it. It took seconds. So easy. Thank you so much to everyone who responded to my post.

OldKen

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OldKen said:
Well, I took the plunge and installed Dropbox on my laptop and my PC. Then exported a piece of music in MusicXML format from Sibelius straight into the PC Dropbox. Then the magic! There it was in the Laptop dropbox and I could have done anything with it. It took seconds. So easy. Thank you so much to everyone who responded to my post.

OldKen

Dropbox is a wondrous thing, install it on your PC's, Laptops, Tablets, Phones and you have everything everywhere.......along with apps like GoodReader, Evernote, etc it is one of the iPad staples.

The Archangel

GrahamD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And, to give further reassurance, I use the Notion app and importing/exporting files couldn't be easier. One of the easiest ways I've found is to e-mail the files to myself. Then, I can use the "Open In..." function right from e-mail to get the file(s) to open in Notion. Dropbox also has the ability to have you be able to 'Open In..." from within Dropbox.

Either way, Notion is a pretty handy tool to use on the iPad. So, be reassured - you can get 'stuff" back and forth from your PC to the iPad.

And, just for the heck of it, here's The Archangel's clarification/reassurance in pictures:

View attachment 32541

View attachment 32542

Marilyn
Your second picture shows a window with options for importing files. I got the same window when I first used Notion on my iPad. Then I joined Dropbox and now when I tap Import, Dropbox appears as the only Option. That's really inconvenient e.g. when away from my PC and I want to import an XML Music file to Notion. How can I restore my list of Import options in Notion? I've tried Unlink, deleting the Dropbox app and cancelling Dropbox account. All to no avail.
Thanks
Graham

GrahamD

iPF Noob
Reaction score

View attachment 32541

View attachment 32542

Marilyn
Sorry, the first picture, not the second!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. It's been a while since I've used this app. And yes, the only Import option is Dropbox.

I don't know why it's changed. The AppStore description still implies you can import, so I don't know why it's disappeared. Sorry.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts