What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imovie questions

ratatapa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I am trying to learn Imovie and I got 3 questions (I'll try to ask them as the best of my knowledge)

1) When you film a movie on Ipad, is it better to film it Portrait or Landscape?

2) When I import a Movie in imovie how do you split frames

EXEMPLE

Lets say I have 2 sequence first sequence I have 5 frames and 2nd sequence I have 3 frames

How do I take exemple Frame3 of squence 1 and send it as frame 2 of 2nd sequence

While frame 1-2-4-5 of sequence 1 stays the same

3) I have a problem with sounds

When I add a sound and I wanna exemple enlarge the lengh i click on the sound and the little yellow circle shows, but when I click on the right circle to send it more right, it's the little red bar (that shows the location of the movie) that moves and no the yellow circle

What do I do wrong?

Reaction score
iMovie has a short manual, in the main page tap the question mark, located in the lower left corner, it will help you get started with the basic features, for example on how to split a video clip:

With your project open, scroll the project timeline to position the playhead (the red vertical line) where you want to split a video clip.
Tap to select the video clip (it becomes outlined in yellow), and swipe down over the playhead to split the clip.

Regarding 1) I would say definitely shot in landscape mode, if you want to watch the movie on any kind of TV or widescreen monitor

3) Hopefully someone else can help you out here

Last edited:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
3. when dragging the yellow circles it will only expand the video frames along with audio if included only to see more of the video frames it will not expand the overall length of movie/audio.

darrinaltman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Landscape for sure bc that will be final output. If u have a portrait scene it will not fill screen.

I have found best if you cut your scenes in the picture app first. Take your sequence 1 and cut it by trimming to a new sequence and save as a new sequence. Then re open original and trim again for what will be sequence 2, save as new. Then open original again and make #3.

Now in iMovie you can easily arrange all your pieces.

OP
R

ratatapa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi sorry for the bump

I just did a Movie in Imovie and asked it to export to Itunes

It says your movie has been sent to the share section of itunes under the name XXX

But I can't find my movie lol where is that 'Share' section

Reaction score
ratatapa said:
But I can't find my movie lol where is that 'Share' section

-Connect the iPad to the PC
-open iTunes and select iPad (under devices)
-go to the Apps tab and scroll down
-there is a list of apps, scroll down to iMovie and click on it. It will show your exported movie and you can copy it elsewhere.

OP
R

ratatapa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok next questions

Here is a small useless video I made

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcFJRYJa1DE[/ame]

1) I have 2 different videos here and you can see with 2 title

But like my first video last like 20 secs but I dont want the title to show that 20sec but like 5-6 sec can I fix that?

It's already at like Start but meh

2) Can I modify the predefined themes or I'm stuck with it?

3) The geolocation on Imovie is bad, all I can select is Montreal but my city is not montreal

once again i'm stuck with it?

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For point 1), I'm not sure if there is a way of modifying themes - I don't believe you can but I am very new to iMovie. What I do is have a black picture, put that at the start of the video clip, set the duration for how lobe I require e.g. 3 seconds and add the title to this. It will then transition into the video clip without the title. Not perfect but one way of doing it.
The other would be to split you video after say 5 seconds so you have 2 clips, the first with 5 seconds and the second with 15 seconds and then just add the title to the first section. The title should transition out but because it is the same video into itself, you may not notice the transition itself.

Edit - Just tried the second method and it works fine as long as the transition is 0.0s long.

Last edited:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure why you're posting the vid when you flagged it as private. So all I see is a white box.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Much better

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS7lGnQn9HU

I need to find a 5sec Black screen to keep in my movie file

Your videos are private so we can't see them. Can you make them public please?
Also, you don't need a 5 sec video clip - just use a black picture (cover up lens and take a snap) and just use this image when required. You can drag the time line of an image to make it last as long as required i.e. 5 seconds.

OP
R

ratatapa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry it's changed you should be able to see it now

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

1) When you film a movie on Ipad, is it better to film it Portrait or Landscape?

2) When I import a Movie in imovie how do you split frames

3) I have a problem with sounds

When I add a sound and I wanna exemple enlarge the lengh i click on the sound and the little yellow circle shows, but when I click on the right circle to send it more right, it's the little red bar (that shows the location of the movie) that moves and no the yellow circle

What do I do wrong?

1. Shoot in landscape, here are two examples as to why.

First, shot in portait:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cPK-oVGs6M]YouTube - Lee's Sandwich RED![/ame]

Second, shot in landscape:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkwT4l9zSBA]YouTube - Solio Rocsta H1000[/ame]

When shot in portrait you will get black bars on the sides in iMovie. This is due to longer horizontal resolution.

2. Can't help you much here. Doesn't look like iMovie has a clip copy feature.

3. I also see this on my iPad. I assume this is because iMovie can't really lengthen the sound. At the most you would have to add another clip at the end to repeat.

Most reactions