What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iFile - The ultimate filesystem manager

IanHHH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, there is no way to download directly to an SD card. I just tried it, using the Cydia tweak "Safari Download Manager." and, when offered the ability to change the file destination, the furthest back I could get in the folder hierarchy was /var/mobile. I was not able to "see" the SD card that I had mounted.

So, I don't think it's possible. I believe you still have to do the extra step of cutting/pasting. I could have missed a step, though, so I'm willing to be corrected, however... :) Or, maybe the same kind of tweak for the Chrome app can do it. I don't have that tweak, so I couldn't try it out.

Marilyn

Thank you for that. I will live with the limitation.

DenAtTheDBM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A number of pages back in this thread someone asked about Numbers, or atleast about apps that seem to use an internal file database. The files don't show up in the app's Documents folder in iFile (or any file browser). What you can do with these apps though is to use the iTunes File Sharing option to export the current document to the Documents folder which then will be visible to iFile (or other file browsers).

In Pages, for example, open the desired document and tap the wrench icon in the top right corner, select Share and Print, then Send to iTunes, then the format you want (pages, word, pdf, etc) and the progress bar will indicate "sending...".

What it's really doing there is exporting the document to the Documents folder which is where iTunes on your desktop computer would find it if you sync with iTunes.

Now, if you navigate to that folder in iFile you will see the file and be able copy, cut and paste it wherever you like.

Also, if you edit a Pages file on your computer and want to transfer it to your iPad, just put it in the Pages->Documents folder and open the Pages app, tap the + icon at the top left, select "import from iTunes", select your file from the ones listed (contents of the Documents folder).

kris1971

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need some help with Ifile, I have an iPad 2 jail broken 5.1.1 iOS. I paid for Ifile in cydia but I keep getting an error while trying to DL it. I have tried my iPhone 4s with same error. New to the forums so I am going to try and post a pic.

image-356117746.jpg

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kris1971 said:
I need some help with Ifile, I have an iPad 2 jail broken 5.1.1 iOS. I paid for Ifile in cydia but I keep getting an error while trying to DL it. I have tried my iPhone 4s with same error. New to the forums so I am going to try and post a pic.

(image snipped)

On the jailbreaknow website I read that there three things to try to get rid of this error.
1. Shutdown your iPad. Restart it and go to Cydia and try to download it.
(I think that, maybe you should check to see if you have anything running in the background. If you do, shut them down.)
2. Restart the network. Settings->General->Reset->Reset Network Settings. Then reset your network hardware devices, router, modem, whatever.
3. The third thing to do is to check your repo list. This step mainly had to do with if you had added a repository and were trying to download from that site. Since you are trying to get something from the standard Cydia repositories this one is probably not the problem.

Since you have problems with the download on two devices your problem may have to do with your network. Off the top of my head I think it seems unlikely.
If I think of anything else, i'll post again here.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

kris1971

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried all the things you suggested, no luck. I even went to one of those hack repositories and tried DL the free version of it. Same thing happen. I guess something in my iPad and iPhone don't agree with ifile. I will shut down my security tweaks and try again. Thx for your help so much, I will repost here if I get it to work.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you don't get it to work, I'll go into Cydia and attempt to reinstall. I think it is called Repair or something like that. I don't want to mess my install up, but if there is a problem the developer needs to know.

kris1971

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well not sure what was different today, but it installed on both with no problem today :) thx for your help.

Greenback

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you download that PDF reader app, no, iFile won't use it to open a PDF file within its default viewing field. However, iFile does have an "Open In..." type of function. It won't specifically say "Open In...", but when you select to open a PDF in iFile, you will get a pop-up that will include the option to select the default iFile "PDF Viewer" or the apps that can read PDFs.

Hope that makes sense and that I've understood your question correctly. If not, please holler back and we'll take another stab at it.

Marilyn

I have tried using this functionality to open an AVI file. All my video players are available for selection in the pop-up menu but none of them seem to do anything. Goodplayer, Aceplayer, VLC.... Nothing. The embedded video player at least attempts to do something but that doesn't play the AVI. Interestingly, while I have been searching for an answer to my problem, VLC has appeared 'randomly' and started playing the file in question.

I should also add that I can play the file from within VLC, no problem.

My version of iFile came from BigBoss and is fully registered. No errors were reported at any stage during either install or the unsuccessful 'open with' attempts. I've tried disabling and then re-enabling file viewers but to no avail. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Edit: I have logged this as a bug with the developer. Even after a reinstall of iFile, VLC and AcePlayer wll open and play the viedo occasionally but always after a LONG delay. The behaviour is inconsistent, so I'm leaning towards there being some sort of bug somewhere.

Last edited:

mefnj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
does iFile allow opening/viewing of MS PowerPoint files (.ppt, pptx, .pps)?

being able to view presentations on iPad would be great, as i wouldn't have to lug my laptop around as i practice my talk.

thanks,
-m

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mefnj said:

being able to view presentations on iPad would be great, as i wouldn't have to lug my laptop around as i practice my talk.

thanks,
-m

I don't think iFile will do this. The AppStore has a free app that has a good reputation for handling PowerPoint presentations. It is SlideShark. I haven't used it, yet. But, FR€€ is the right price.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

thanks,
-m

Not specifically. As Fid alluded to, you will still need an app that can "read" those types of files. If an app is not present on the iPad that can open the file, iFile can't just open it (it has an "Open In..." function, same as other apps).

I hear, also, that Apple's own app, Keynote will work to read PowerPoint slides. Though, TBH, I'd take a look/try that Slideshark app (it's free versus $10 for Apple's app). :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts