What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ifile CCK Disconnects every 10 minutes

mrjixies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with the following problem.

I Jailbreaked my device (Ipad 1) so I could install Cydia's Ifile for browsing my USB Drives.

Everything went fine, except when I connect my USB Drives I can only access them for 10 minutes? After that they stop (the led on the drives go out so it means there is no connection) and I have to reboot the Ipad to get the drives working again?

I have tried it with 3 USB drives (all sandisk cruzers) and 2 different powered USB hubs, but with no avail. They all stop after 10 minutes.

Does anyone have a clue what might be going on? Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I might be mistaken, but I thought that the 'USB' interface on the iPad has such limited current drive capability that it can only drive the iPad's Camera Connection Kit and read SD Cards. Any other card interface is likely to suffer serious problems.

Tim

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh.

All I can tell you, mrjixies, is that I was able to duplicate your scenario. I, too, had to reboot my iPad to get it to re-recognize my Cruzer Micro 2GB.

I sure don't know why, though. Guess we can't just leave the USB sticks plugged in (as we can with a PC).

So, no answer as to why from me - just a "thanks" for the heads up. Now, I'm off to find out if the same thing happens with an SD card...

Marilyn

P.S. Some USB flash drives do work, Tim, but it's a trial and error process to find ones that do. Most people find it easier to just use SD cards.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect this is something like a power management feature on the drive. It is likely powering down because it is not getting the appropriate signal to stay active. It no doubt expects to be connected to a PC, not an iPad via CCK.
Not all drives do this, but I don't expect there is an easy fix for ones that do...

OP
M

mrjixies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oke thanks for the answers. I'll just have to try a different usb stick I guess. Or try a sd card.

If all fails, the Ipad goes out the window and I'll buy a tablet that doesn't try to screw you over..

OP
M

mrjixies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update:

I tried a very old sd card, and that seemed to do the trick. So I'll buy a 32gb card and hopefully that works as well.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should be fine with SD Cards in the SD Adapter. AFAIK all models work up to 32GB without issues. It is only the USB adapter which has the problems with power draw making it a bit hit and miss with USB Flash Drives.

Last edited:

lovetera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim, but it's a trial and error process to find ones that do. Most people find it easier to just use SD cards.

Most reactions

Latest posts