What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identify New ipad from version 2

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OP of this thread made no mention of not having the iPads in front of him. This possible scenario was postulated by a Kaykaykay,later poster in this thread.

You're right. My apologies!:)

Note: Corrections have been made.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the answers supplied so far in this thread will enable the OP to tell what version he has,whatever his situation.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the easiest way to tell the two apart is the display resolution. You can easily see the pixels in an iPad 2 display,while the pixels in the iPad 3 display are too small to see without magnification.
Here is an excellent thread that explains exactly how to tell which iPad you have.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4047181?start=0&tstart=0

If you have to check in bulk you need to look at the back of each iPad at the model number, and use the info in the link that scifan57 gives above. At lot of work, but that's how it goes.

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have to check in bulk you need to look at the back of each iPad at the model number, and use the info in the link that scifan57 gives above. At lot of work, but that's how it goes.

I agree. The easiest way is to use the model number but definitely not the serial number as suggested earlier for bulk inspection purposes. One suggestion that I can make, to make the job easier, is to just look for the model number at the box (if the box is provided) instead of openning it up and look for the number in the device themselves. For those with slightly impaired vision though they would need a magnifying glass to see the small prints.:)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure if every Ipad 3 and Ipad 2 have the same serial numbers. Tell me if I'm wrong, as far as I know, devices have different serial numbers. That is no two devices of the same model have the same sereal numbers. A Serial number can't be be determined easily unless you have phycially in front of you the device or the pertinent documentation is available. Even the manufacturer will not be able to provide you one if you did not register. Perhaps you're referring to the model number and not the serial number. Model number and serial number are two different information. The model number might be the quickest way of knowing the difference. But then again is it readily available? Whether you use the serial number or model number how will you verify them without the device physically in front of you? Granting that you have 200 of them how will you determine QUICKLY AND EASILY that what you have are really the devices that you bought?

Duh, of course every iPad has its own serial number. Otherwise it wouldn't be a serial number. I posted a link above that lets anyone enter serial number, model number, etc., and find out exactly what iPad you're looking at. A serial number is a sure-fire way to check, which is why I suggested it. Up to users whether they want to use that, of course.

The serial and model numbers are on the back of every iPad, as well as viewable in Settings.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. The easiest way is to use the model number but definitely not the serial number as suggested earlier for bulk inspection purposes. One suggestion that I can make, to make the job easier, is to just look for the model number at the box (if the box is provided) instead of openning it up and look for the number in the device themselves. For those with slightly impaired vision though they would need a magnifying glass to see the small prints.:)

I would never rely on a box. All a scammer has to do is give you the box of a new iPad and put an old one in the box, for instance.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. However, as pointed out by the scenario of Ziffos, this can't be done because these devices are not physically in front of you. Granting that it is physically available, with 200 of them as stated in the scenario, will it be QUICK and EASY to verify the resolution? Perhaps Ziffos should open a new thread with the same question and adding the specifics of what he wants for the answer.:)

Ziffos is saying he is buying in bulk, with a pile of iPads in front of him to check.

The possibility of everyone having two iPads or more in front on them is not likely in most secondhand buyers' cases. Usually, people see one advertised on Craigslist, eBay, etc., then see it in person, at which point they will want to confirm what they're getting. If they've never seen a retina screen, they won't have any reference.

At buying point, there will be at least one iPad in front of any buyer, so they can check serial or model number.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OP of this thread made no mention of not having the iPads in front of him. This possible scenario was postulated by a Kaykaykay,later poster in this thread.

I didn't postulate not having any iPads in front of you. Every buyer will have at least one iPad in front of him. I noted that not every buyer will have two iPads (iPad 2 and new iPad) to compare. I referred to that because there were others referring to comparing retina screen, weight and thickness.

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would never rely on a box. All a scammer has to do is give you the box of a new iPad and put an old one in the box, for instance.

In that case, the only choice is to really examine the back of the device for the model number. If you agree that it is the only choice, will this be easy and quick especially if you have the 200 pcs. of secondhand Ipads (for inspection) as what Ziffos have scenariod?

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In that case, the only choice is to really examine the back of the device for the model number. If you agree that it is the only choice, will this be easy and quick especially if you have the 200 pcs. of secondhand Ipads as what Ziffos have scenariod?

No one is saying it's quick and easy. If you've got money involved, it's probably worth not getting scammed, despite the "hardship" of checking, lol.

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one is saying it's quick and easy. If you've got money involved, it's probably worth not getting scammed, despite the "hardship" of checking, lol.

According to Ziffos " ........If I am buying second hand - and in bulk as I do - then I need to be able to tell quickly and easily which "generation" I am looking at - I guess I am going to have to carry a micrometer to check the thickness of each iPad - not a pleasant job if I have a pile of 200 to check!!"

Bold added for emphasis.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to Ziffos " ........If I am buying second hand - and in bulk as I do - then I need to be able to tell quickly and easily which "generation" I am looking at - I guess I am going to have to carry a micrometer to check the thickness of each iPad - not a pleasant job if I have a pile of 200 to check!!"

Bold added for emphasis.

He or she asked for input on how to check and would like a quick and easy method -- that doesn't mean one necessarily exists.

coolstuffs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He or she asked for input on how to check and would like a quick and easy method -- that doesn't mean one necessarily exists.

Here's Ziffos response to two responses to this thread in which one is mine " @theTIMO - no help whatsoever - so why even bother posting? - maybe you just want to increase your "novice" score?
@coolstuffs - thanks but specs comparisons have always been easy to obtain but of no use when I don't have both ipads at the front of me.
@Kaykaykay - thank you for your comments above.

If I am buying second hand - and in bulk as I do - then I need to be able to tell quickly and easily which "generation" I am looking at - I guess I am going to have to carry a micrometer to check the thickness of each iPad - not a pleasant job if I have a pile of 200 to check!!"

I'm not sure if he/she is asking for inputs on how to check and would like an easy and quick method!

ferrarasam2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipad3contracts.co.uk
you will fill the diffrence when you will use it, apple is known for making simple classic looking devices, and there almost all products look same, but when you will use them, you will feel the diffrence

Most reactions

Latest posts