What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ical for ipad?

ipad1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How good is the built in ical app for ipad? I am trying to decide if I want to stick with that one or get a new one in the app store.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I struggled with the iPad’s built-in calendar app, but eventually gave up and switched to Pocket Informant HD. You can search for it in the App Store and review the reviews. If you go to the Developer’s website you can download a comprehensive User Manual. It’s not the cheapest calendar/diary/project/task manager but it has many advantages, in my opinion, over its rivals. One is that it ‘sits on top of’ iCal and optionally imports any appointments that are there. This is important because many other iPad apps use iCal as the default iPad calendar app. So, for example, the iPad’s native ‘Mail’ app automatically places any incoming appointments that it recognises into the iPad’s native calendar app. Pocket Informant HD picks these up and displays them - but ‘marks’ them so they can be distinguished from Pocket Informant appointments. If you read the manual you’ll see it’s more-or-less infinitely configurable - many users of the native iPad Calendar app complain about it's inability to, say, choose the colours of different appointments, tasks or projects.

I like it's very flexible ‘recurring appointments’ capability - the ‘custom’ mode can set up virtually any esoteric recurring appointment periodicity.

Some users have remarked on stability issues - but I’ve personally not had any problems at all.

I should say, of course, that I have no connection with the Developers of Pocket Informant. Don’t hesitate to post again if you have some specific questions.

Tim
Scotland

OP
I

ipad1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are the main problems you find with the native ical app?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your post. I found the native calendar app to be too limited.

(1) Inability to set 'unusual' recurring appointments
(2) No facilities for projects or tasks at all
(3) No easy way to backup except via sync and the dreaded iTunes
(4) Limited display options

OK - none of these are absolute 'show stoppers' except, for me, projects and tasks, which I could see no way of getting that functionality from the native Calendar app. I also like to have an integrated 'To Do' list with target dates - OK - all that sort of stuff.....

As I said, I think the built-in app is fine for most purposes and probably, yes, I could manage with it - I previously kept a separate 'To Do' list in the 'Note' app, but it's nice to have the whole thing together.

Tim
Scotland

T

TJK

I've been using 2Do on iPad and iPhone that sync nicely through MobileMe. I've also been using SOHO Organizer on my MacBook which is an uber-iCal alternative..

A lot of folks also like BusyCal - which is a nice calendar.

ithinkipadneeds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a few what I think are simple functionality issues with the ipad calendar app. Maybe someone can direct me to one that will work for what I need. I know that the iCal program that works with the MAC OX S has the functionality I desire so I'm just unsure of why they two are more similar.

I would 1st and foremost like to be able to invite folks to meetings/events etc...whether this be for setting up a quick meeting and sending someone a calendar notice to accept or so my husband knows I have something on a calendar for a specific date. This is a major hang up for me. I have to go back to my laptop and add this in at a later date which is hard to remember when running fast.

2nd, I need to set up repeating meetings. While you can sort of do this with the ipad app, it's very limited. I would like to set a meeting for the 2nd tuesday of each month for instance...however the ipad app only allows you to select "monthly" which in turn chooses the same date, say the 12th of every month no matter which day it falls on.

Am I the only person looking for these functions? I use them daily and am soooo frustrated without them on the ipad.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a few what I think are simple functionality issues with the ipad calendar app. Maybe someone can direct me to one that will work for what I need. I know that the iCal program that works with the MAC OX S has the functionality I desire so I'm just unsure of why they two are more similar.

I would 1st and foremost like to be able to invite folks to meetings/events etc...whether this be for setting up a quick meeting and sending someone a calendar notice to accept or so my husband knows I have something on a calendar for a specific date. This is a major hang up for me. I have to go back to my laptop and add this in at a later date which is hard to remember when running fast.

2nd, I need to set up repeating meetings. While you can sort of do this with the ipad app, it's very limited. I would like to set a meeting for the 2nd tuesday of each month for instance...however the ipad app only allows you to select "monthly" which in turn chooses the same date, say the 12th of every month no matter which day it falls on.

Am I the only person looking for these functions? I use them daily and am soooo frustrated without them on the ipad.

Have a look at Pocket Informant HD - you can download the comprehensive manual from the Developer's website to see if it meets your need. I've used it now for a couple of months and it has everything that you've asked for above.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions