What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got the AT&T we hate you Lifetime unlimited customers. Can you say Throttle?

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got the following.

ATT Free Msg: Your data usage has reached 3GB this month. Using more than 3GB in future billing cycles will result in reduced speeds. You can use Wi-Fi to help avoid reduced speeds. Visit www.att.com/datainfo or call 866-344-7584 for more info.

Seems that the iPad 3 tethered to my iPhone 4S on my 3G Unlimited Data Plan sucked up my data too damn quick and they are threatening to throttle me back. So the 4G people are not alone. Guess I will be keeping it to a minimum. So much for unlimited. Hell just listening to Sirius radio everyday gets it up over 3GB. Tethering the 3 really sped that up.

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere on this forum that AT&T wasn't going to throttle 4g usage. I did read on my USA app awhile ago that they would on 3G though.

OP
PaulCarleton

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They may not throttle 4G but you sure will rip through it and pay for the overages.

I'm on the grandfathered 3G unlimited plan on my iPhone 4S with 3G. I didn't get one of the 4G model iPad 3's and opted for a wifi and tether to my 3G iPhone 4S. seems that is going to be a problem as AT&T is slapping me with a throttle.

johnml

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky I'm on the grandfathered unlimited plan. I bought my first gen iPad before they canceled the unlimited plan.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T has gotten in big trouble over throttling. The problem is that you are tethering. If you have not paid for the tethering option, they can cancel your unlimited plan. The carriers are unable to add capacity fast enough, and problems differ from location to location. And none of them are going to do anything to lower their bottom line.

AT&T’s policy of throttling some unlimited smartphone data plan holders took a pair of hits this past week, as a judge ruled in favor of an iPhone user who had sued over the practice and a new study cast doubts as to whether or not data throttling was even necessary.According to Peter Svensson of the Associated Press (AP), the case in question involved an unemployed truck driver and student named Matt Spaccarelli, who was awarded $850 by a small claims court judge. The ruling said that it was unfair for the company to purposely slow down Spaccarelli’s iPhone connection speeds after promising him an “unlimited data” plan.
Source: redOrbit (http://s.tt/15XQi)

Last edited:
OP
PaulCarleton

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
90% of my data use is from Sirius radio and I have regularly gone over 3GB, unfortunately tethering just for a couple minutes on my iPad 3 obviously sent data through the roof and i'm away from my normal area, which may have triggered the message. Will have to keep it on a minimum. I have rarely tethered, usually only in a pinch. It's crapy and slow anyway so hot spots are preferable anyway.

They must not have gotten into much trouble as they keep sending out the message.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts