What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to transfer photos from a usb memory stick to ipad.

John Petrie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't own a computer anymore, just use my ipad. Can any of you ipad veterans inform me of how to transfer photos from a usb memory stick to ipad.
I use wifi on my Canon camera to tranfer recent photos but it's really the ones on the memory sticks i would like to import to google photos.
I'm not very knowledgable on the ins and outs of this technology so sorry in advance if i seem to be gibbering tripe in my communications.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello John - first, welcome to the forum! :) Second, please provide some more information which will help others, including myself, respond better: 1) What iPad model do you own - might be important relative to the charging port, most have the lightning port while the newer iPad Pros had a USB-C connection and adapters may differ; 2) With your Canon's Wi-Fi, is there a proprietary Canon app that allows wireless transfer of images between the camera and your iPad (I have a Panasonic Wi-Fi Lumix w/ this feature); and 3) Exactly what storage media cards do you want to use, e.g. USB flash sticks, SD cards, and/or others? Thanks - Dave

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@giradman
There’s an app called Camera Connect which allows transferring images from the camera to the iPad directly. I’m using it myself.

@John Petrie
I assume the images are already on the USB flash drive, and you intend to get them to the iPad.
You can’t connect the flash drive to your iDevice directly. There’s no adapter which would support it.
Maybe this review will help:
HooToo TripMate Nano review

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
@giradman
There’s an app called Camera Connect which allows transferring images from the camera to the iPad directly. I’m using it myself.

@John Petrie
I assume the images are already on the USB flash drive, and you intend to get them to the iPad.
You can’t connect the flash drive to your iDevice directly. There’s no adapter which would support it.
Maybe this review will help:
HooToo TripMate Nano review

Thanks Johanna - that was one of my questions for John, i.e. whether Canon had a wireless app for the iPad to allow the transfer - no longer have a Canon camera, so never searched myself - however, looked on the App store and the reviews are 'mixed' - assume you're having good luck w/ the app? Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Johanna - that was one of my questions for John, i.e. whether Canon had a wireless app for the iPad to allow the transfer - no longer have a Canon camera, so never searched myself - however, looked on the App store and the reviews are 'mixed' - assume you're having good luck w/ the app? Dave :)
I didn’t have any major problems so far, it’s working quite reliable. :)

OP
John Petrie

John Petrie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, very impressive response.
I've got the camera connect app which works great when at home but sometimes have difficulty connecting when on holiday. I can live with that though.
The model of my ipad is MP2H2B/A
128GB
It's USB flash sticks i want to transfer the photos from.
There isn't a USB port on my ipad.
Thanks again for the quick replies, much appreciated.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, very impressive response.
I've got the camera connect app which works great when at home but sometimes have difficulty connecting when on holiday. I can live with that though.
The model of my ipad is MP2H2B/A - 128GB
It's USB flash sticks i want to transfer the photos from.
There isn't a USB port on my ipad.

Hi John - boy, I have a great solution if you had a computer, but that's another question. First, your iPad is the 2017 5th G, as shown in first pic below (from the Everymac wesite punching in the number given).

Second, you have a lightning port and Wi-Fi wireless as input options: 1) Wireless - you know about w/ your Canon camera and their app; there might be other wireless devices that would accept a variety of storage cards, mainly SDs - you'd have to search to see what the options may be? I have 2 devices that use SD cards and establish a personal Wi-Fi network w/ an iPad using a proprietary app - could there be a similar device that uses a USB connector - don't know? 2) Lightning Port - Apple sells an adapter which uses SD cards (have not used one in years); NOW, there are devices w/ a lightning input at one end and USB at the other, often w/ storage - I own the one in the 2nd pic below (storage amount varies) - there are MANY of these on Amazon, so take a look, read about their features to make sure they are what you need. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 5.55.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 6.11.52 PM.png

OP
John Petrie

John Petrie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Superb Giradman, that looks like the way ahead. Now to do a spot of research on that flash drive. Thanks very much✌

OP
John Petrie

John Petrie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi John - boy, I have a great solution if you had a computer, but that's another question. First, your iPad is the 2017 5th G, as shown in first pic below (from the Everymac wesite punching in the number given).

Second, you have a lightning port and Wi-Fi wireless as input options: 1) Wireless - you know about w/ your Canon camera and their app; there might be other wireless devices that would accept a variety of storage cards, mainly SDs - you'd have to search to see what the options may be? I have 2 devices that use SD cards and establish a personal Wi-Fi network w/ an iPad using a proprietary app - could there be a similar device that uses a USB connector - don't know? 2) Lightning Port - Apple sells an adapter which uses SD cards (have not used one in years); NOW, there are devices w/ a lightning input at one end and USB at the other, often w/ storage - I own the one in the 2nd pic below (storage amount varies) - there are MANY of these on Amazon, so take a look, read about their features to make sure they are what you need. Dave :)
View attachment 85076 View attachment 85077
Hi Dave, i've been looking at the item you showed. I've decided to have a chat online with an apple rep. Sometimes if it isn't an Apple item it may not work with future upgrades.
A few comments back i said i used the wifi to transfer camera photos, this was fine at home but hit or a miss when on holiday. So i've went for the Apple card reader.
Thanks for the help

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave, i've been looking at the item you showed. I've decided to have a chat online with an apple rep. Sometimes if it isn't an Apple item it may not work with future upgrades.
A few comments back i said i used the wifi to transfer camera photos, this was fine at home but hit or a miss when on holiday. So i've went for the Apple card reader.
Thanks for the help

Hi again John - I'm assuming that you mean the Lightning-SD Card adapter shown below? I'm on my 3rd iPad and had one for my iPad 2 (used the old 30-pin connector); switched to Air 2 w/ a lightning port and decided not to get a new Apple SD adapter, instead bought some 'wireless' options and finally my Lumix Wi-Fi camera; now on an iPad Pro w/ the USB-C port, so the adapter shown in my last post is not of any use to me, although the 'wireless' ones and my camera work just fine.

On one of your previous posts you mentioned the need for a USB connector, thus my suggestion to look at those hybrid connectors that can do lightning + USB - your Apple adapter (again if the same one below) will take only SD cards, so I hope that is your need? Also take a look at those 1* and 2* reviews on the Apple website for that adapter (same type responses when I used my old 30-pin one), there can be some problems - SO, before you go on your trip(s), test the new adapter at home to make sure it is working like you want. Good luck. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 11.33.28 AM.png

OP
John Petrie

John Petrie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dave, my quest ends. Got in touch with an Apple rep on chat.
The item i'm looking for doesn't exist for the ipad5.
Not all bad news, like i said i bought the card reader because of you peeps mentioning it. Should be a boon when on holiday.
I'm now thinking along the lines of, what if that rep just had an off day? What if i caught her on her break?
What if i march into PC World and give the Apple consultant a good grilling? I'll get back to you Dave with that result.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave, my quest ends. Got in touch with an Apple rep on chat.
The item i'm looking for doesn't exist for the ipad5.
Not all bad news, like i said i bought the card reader because of you peeps mentioning it. Should be a boon when on holiday.
I'm now thinking along the lines of, what if that rep just had an off day? What if i caught her on her break?
What if i march into PC World and give the Apple consultant a good grilling? I'll get back to you Dave with that result.

Hey John - hope all works out for you and looking forward to your follow-up comments. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts