What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to stop ipad from backup ?

paulyeo11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

I notice that ipad take very long to backup. since yesterday i already did the back up , today i only wanted to install one program, it is possible to force ipad not to performace the back up , just do the sync.

Last time when i use my iphone , during iphone did the backup , i can cancel the back up , and it can carry on sync. but now when i click the x , it stop every thing.

Paul

drwinston001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I stop my backup when it's done everyday by just clicking the "x". Then sync your iPad and once that's done it'll try to backup again. Just click the "x" again. The sync will have worked but the backup won't.

killdanzig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I stop my backup when it's done everyday by just clicking the "x". Then sync your iPad and once that's done it'll try to backup again. Just click the "x" again. The sync will have worked but the backup won't.
i do this also.

i tried to let it back up one day, and after 5 hours it still wasn't completed.

it's just not that worth it to me from what i can see.

harv2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to be careful with this recommendation, but I use a utility called "backoff" that causes iTunes to skip the backup. It is available at BackOff Speeds Up iTunes Sync for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. I am not associated in any way with this tool.

Before using this tool, ensure that you consider the implications of having no backup. Recovering a machine is no longer possible. Rebuilding the machine from scratch is the only option. In my case, 99% of what is stored on my iPad originated on my PC in the first place ... why would I perceive the need to back it back up on the same bloomin PC it came from. The remaining 1% is at risk, and for those items I can't accept that risk on, I simply send to the cloud immediately on acquiring.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your backup is taking hours, you have the corrupt backup file problem. Search on here for the fix. You delete you backups, then do a backup. That first one will take awhile, because it is a total backup. Subsequent ones will be fast.

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bumping because I found a solution for me.....this was driving me nuts. 32 gig pad not even one third full. I was backing up with the cable connected to an extended USB port (in front of my computer which runs Win 7). And after six hours it would get maybe 50% backed up. Plug the cable into the mainboard USB port on back of your rig. Backup time: 17 minutes! BTW, I noticed the software update being applied after the backup which is a bummer for those who can't get their ipad to backup.

Last edited:

bennieridder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I looked up this information as I had left my ipod touch to sync for over 3 hours when it usually takes about an hour. This information is really useful.
I think it may be the Telegraph app too that is causing the problem.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an FYI my iPhones always took longer to backup prior to iOS4. My 3GS got MUCH faster, and my i4 has been fast at backing up since day one. I suspect the backup issues some of you are having with the iPad will be alleviated when 4.x hits the iPad. Hopefully soon.

Michael

bigd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Backoff where to download IPAD or PC

I want to be careful with this recommendation, but I use a utility called "backoff" that causes iTunes to skip the backup. Before using this tool, ensure that you consider the implications of having no backup. Recovering a machine is no longer possible. Rebuilding the machine from scratch is the only option. In my case, 99% of what is stored on my iPad originated on my PC in the first place ... why would I perceive the need to back it back up on the same bloomin PC it came from. The remaining 1% is at risk, and for those items I can't accept that risk on, I simply send to the cloud immediately on acquiring.

Did you have to load the Backoff app to your Ipad, PC or both to make it work? I only have it on my PC and it does not seem to shut off the backup.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have to activate it. Backups are ON by default.

813d1289625552-how-do-i-turn-off-backing-up-when-syncing-backoff_disable_itunes_ipod_backup.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts