What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to send to GROUPS with iPad Mail

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love this app ! I'm the kind of person who reads the instructions ;-) Concerning #6, there is one thing I do not understand :

Why should I put my name in the TO line ??? When I put one of my groups in the Bcc line in arrives to my contacts with undisclosed recipients which is just fine !

I don't like to send an email back to someone in a group and find it a bit of a bore having to uncheck his name from the group and having to check it back after but it's no great deal compared to what this app does ! I gave it five stars :D

SolublePeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.solubleapps.com
Merci Yptcn, thanks for your comments

I suggested putting yourself in the "to" line as that is what I was told is best practice when BCCing (I would guess that some email servers needed SOMETHING in the "to" line at one point?)

If it works fine for you without it, that's fine by me, it's not something MailShot specifically needs.

Cheers Peter.

sbiondi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - just a couple of questions:

Import existing address book Groups into MailShot!

• (Note that this is a one-way import, not synchronisation, but it does make it SO much faster to set up MailShot if you already have groups in your address book).
So, does this import groups from gmail accounts? I'm guessing "no," i.e., it only imports groups created in the native contact/address book, correct?

• And the in-app upgraded version will now let you manage MORE than 50 contacts in a MailShot group
What's the max number of contacts in a MailShot group?

Thanks
Sbiondi

SolublePeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.solubleapps.com
Hi

[/LIST][/quote]So, does this import groups from gmail accounts? I'm guessing "no," i.e., it only imports groups created in the native contact/address book, correct?

PJ>
Yes, your guess is correct.

• And the in-app upgraded version will now let you manage MORE than 50 contacts in a MailShot group
What's the max number of contacts in a MailShot group?

Thanks
Sbiondi[/QUOTE]

It now depends on your ISP.

I originally saw MailShot as something you'd use for contacting smaller groups of people, like friends, sports teams or workmates, because the ability to just mail direct from pretty much any app is unique and something people often asked about in forums.

I used to limit the upgraded version to 50 in code, but I've now removed that limit as far as MailShot is concerned as I found that more of the people I spoke to during user support discussions were using it for large mailing lists than I'd expected, and the ability to import from Groups on your device means that even more people will probably want to use it for larger groups now.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:

KristianOslo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Markdf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sync my contacts with my Google contacts. What I've done is to create a contact in Google that has the e-mail field filled out as:

addr1, addr2, addr3, etc.

Then the iPad does its sync thing and picks up this new contact. When I use it, the mail program complains that it's an invalid address, but it does correctly send to all the addresses.

Kludgy and ugly, and surprising that the iPad doesn't natively support such a basic e-mail feature, but it can be made to work.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sync my contacts with my Google contacts. What I've done is to create a contact in Google that has the e-mail field filled out as:

addr1, addr2, addr3, etc.

Then the iPad does its sync thing and picks up this new contact. When I use it, the mail program complains that it's an invalid address, but it does correctly send to all the addresses.

Kludgy and ugly, and surprising that the iPad doesn't natively support such a basic e-mail feature, but it can be made to work.

But MailShot (when it's back) is the answer!!

Tim

TMWeddle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
rustymailbox.blogspot.com
I made a group in contacts by adding more than one email address on the one line separated by a comma and a space. I sent an email to all the members just by choosing that contact and sending - the system response was that it did not appear to be a valid email, did I want to send it anyway - I said yes and off it went. This trial contact was to addresses I have so I could tell that all were sent and received.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

KristianOslo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello TMWeddle
I just found out the same as you, and I can confirm that it do function. This seems to be the only solution on hoe to send group mails wothout purchasing another app (and most of them are missing some functionality - at least all the free one unntil to may 2011).

Donnaweiser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help -I'm still a bit confused, since I have been able to create groups in my gmail as well - What is Atomic? Is that an application that i can download into my i-pad?

algy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
solublepeter.

I really do need the function of your app as it would seem to answer all my needs. Believe me when I say I have searches everywhere tot he solution and got zilch!!

Anyway I have downloaded it and will need to puirchase due to the ammount of contact I have but here is the problem:

I am using OE 6 and have about 10,000 email addresses from customers at some time wanting to be on the email list(s).

I have a bout 12 current email list for different models of cars customers want, each emaillist varies between 5 and 700 customers. Each list of customers are in a sub folerd in OE and when i send an email from the main computer i simply send to myself ina ddress bar and the name of the folder in the bcc. All customers in that subfolder get an email. easy.

BUT the ipad is synced to outlook where i just have personal emails and now I want to use my ipad when im away from home for occassional bussiness to send emails. the emails are prewritten and held on my ipad i will need to send them to the group and I cant think HOW to move JUST the contents of each sub folder keeping it within that subfolder to either outlook so I can upload to Mailshot or direct from OE to Mailshot?
I have done as some suggest on this thread and copied the emaila ddresses, tased them, edited them and saved as notebook then loaded onto the ipad within the name of a group, that works (yes I too get the error message and if ignored it sends).
BUT how do I upload my groups from OE subfolders onto Mailshot?
Im concerned about transfering ALL 10,00+ email addresses to outlook as 1. it is a huge ammount to then sync with ipad and 2. totally unnecessary to ahve them all plus Im not sure even if i do that the folders on OE will transfer accross as folders onto outlook and be easy to identify and upload to Mailshot?
What I should see s the solution is to export JUST the subfolders and contents to mailshot from OE either direct or if needbe via Outlook. I cant seem to do that, when you export its all or nothing.
Driving me potty hope you can help

Algy

algy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys. An Update.

As above you will see the problem is uploading contact groups from Outlook Express (OE) to the Ipad contact address book. I have searched and searched an no advice was available anywhere. The solutions offered here re copy / pasting in notebook and then uploading to the address book does work but it is somewhat tedious and not ideal.
Mailshot seamed to hold the ideal solution in formulating contact groups but the problem still remained on HOW to export the contact groups from OE to ipad and thus onto mailshot. There seems to be NO proceedure for exporting and keeping contact groups compact and seperate from OE. I wrote to Solublepeter @ Mailshot and received VERY prompt, easy to understand and helpful advice. Moreover he found the solution!
If you have vast ammounts of contacts held in OE address book and in particular in Contact groups in OE this is a MUST read! It will also probably work with other address books too (maybe Peter will comment on that).
The system is this and it is very simple and easy to do:

1. Firstly you need to have Outlook installed as a contact address book and synced to your ipad.
2. open OE and Outlook address books together.
3. make both reduced size and put them next to each other on the desktop
4. Now click and open the address book in the toolbar of OE. On the right you will see ALL your contacts. On the left you will see your contact groups.
5. In outlook click contacts and again on the right you will see ALL your contacts and on the left you will see a group Contacts. You now need to click top left of outlook. File/NEW/Folder. Call the folder the SAME as the one in OE group that you wish to transfer the contacts of.
6. Now in Outlook again click File/New/Folder and make the next same folder name as the next folder you want to trasnfer from OE.
7. Continue until you have made all the folder names the same in OE and in Outlook
8.Now with BOTH address books open highlight the first folder in outlook and go accross to OE.
9. Click the same name folder in OE and it will open all contacts in the right window of OE.
10. Highlight the first contact in the list and holding down 'shift' on the keypad press the 'down' arrow now highlighting ALL the contacts in that group/folder in OE
11. Now left click the entire list and drag / drop the list into the same folder name in outlook
12. They are now all in Outlook BUT not saved so click the save/close button in outlook repeatedly for each contact (if you have transfered 40 contacts you will need to rapidly click save 40 times). They are all now saved in outlook address book group folder.
13. Repeat 8 - 12 above for each folder / group name.
14. Now conect your ipad to the computer and sync your ipad with outlook.
15. All will be now transfered and you can simply now open Mailshot and create new mailshot groups with then same name and upload them as explained by Mailshot.
16. You will now be able to send emails to groups with the mailshot having made them nice and easy to use as groups.
17. I suggest you use your own address as in the 'To' bar and the group name in the 'Bcc'. This is for privacy of email addresses.
18. Voila!!

You can now edit and upload to the groups at any time via this simple system and keep groups isolated and easy to send via emails.

I strongly recommend you make the Mailshot purchase as the free version is limited in volume of contacts, the software has been special designed for this very purpose and when I say support is excellent I mean excellent.

Algy

bfm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded Mailshot and can not get my distribution list to sync or import from MS Outlook (not OE).
I have my distribution list created in Outlook and it works fine when I use it from my PC, but can not get it loaded onto my iPod2.
Suggestions?.?

algy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BFM,

I think where you are going wrong is thinking mailshot syncs with your computer. It doesnt.
Mailshot is a program that you need to upload contacts from your ipad distribution addresses.
See the points above and my advise is to call the groups always the same name. So for eg it is was football teams. On your puter on outlook you may have football teams addresses as Manu, spurs etc. Have the same group names on your ipad.
Now once you have synced your ipad with your computer then simply create the same name group folders in mailshot.
Now upload the groups from ipad to mailshot.
It works very well and is very quick.

Try that remembering to use mailshot as a software to upload from the ipad address book NOT trying to sync.

Good Luck

Algy

Most reactions

Latest posts