What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to restore previous version of an app, from another iPad or iCloud backup?

catsaway9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My company has 10 iPad 2s running iOS 5. We use a POP3 email server. We had trouble with the native email program on the iPads because it wouldn't fetch from the server, and our server wouldn't push. The Apple geniuses weren't able to help us fix it despite many hours in the store and on the phone. We finally found an email app, IbisMail, that addressed exactly that issue, and we installed it on all the iPads. It worked great.

A week or so ago, there was an update to IbisMail in the App Store. The description said that Apple had taken away their fetch/push capabilities. I told everyone NOT to update to this new version. Most of the iPads have restrictions set so that the users can't do anything with the apps anyway.

This morning I got a call from my boss (who of course has no restrictions) that she updated by mistake, and now her email doesn't work.

We still have the old version running on all the other iPads. Is there a way to copy it from one of those, to hers? Each iPad has its own Apple ID so they sync independently. I don't want to mess up any of the other iPads trying to do this.

I'm not sure how recently she backed up to the iCloud, so if she hasn't done it in a while it's possible that the old version of the app is still there. I've never restored from a backup. Is it possible to restore selectively, so that I could just restore this one app?

As a related issue, she also has an iPhone that is running IbisMail for the same reason, and she updated that one as well. We don't have any other iPhones. I think the IbisMail app is the same app for both devices, but I don't know if it's possible to sync apps from an iPad to an iPhone.

Any advice would be much appreciated! As you can probably tell from the post, I'm not a techie, and my IT guy is PC, not Apple, so we're kind of the blind leading the blind with these iPads - just learning as we go along and trying not to screw up too badly.

OP
C

catsaway9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP here, thought of one more question. If it's possible to transfer an app from one iPad to another through iTunes, will iTunes automatically update the app along the way? That would obviously defeat our purpose here.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts