What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to clear Internal Storage

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I check my iPad with Windows Explorer I find that I have 466 MB left of 14.7 GB Internal Storage.
How do I free some of this up?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can go into Settings on your iPad and look under Storage. You will be able to see which Apps are using the most space. You could perhaps remove any that you seldom use. (You can always get them back at a later date). It is possible that you have a large collection of music stored on the iPad, some of which you could keep on your computer.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - first, I'm assuming that you have a 16 GB iPad Air (from the forum posted) - correct? Second, please provide the iOS installed on your device. If that storage data is correct, you really need to 'free up' at least 2-3 GB. Do you use iTunes on your computer? If so, plug in the iPad and if you know how to post an image, show us the storage bar graph (see first pic below of my iPad Air 2).

Also on the iPad, go into Settings -> General -> Storage & iCloud Usage - tap 'Manage Storage' in 'Storage' - if you can do a screen capture (simultaneous pressing the ON-OFF & HOME buttons quickly - see my 2nd pic), then post that pic also; if you are unable to post pics, then let us know which apps are taking up your space; also by tapping an app, a new column will open giving you the size of the app + the size of its 'Documents & Data' (see the 3rd pic of my Zinio app - most of the storage is occupied by my downloaded mags). I'll stop there to let you respond - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 5.19.07 PM.png
IMG_7759.PNG
IMG_7760.PNG

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If so, plug in the iPad and if you know how to post an image, show us the storage bar graph (see first pic below of my iPad Air 2).
Perhaps this would be a good start since, so far, I have had no luck in posting images. What's the trick?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To make a screenshot, press and release the power and home buttons simultaneously. To post that screenshot, tap the upload a file button at the bottom of the message box. Then tap photo library in the pop up that appears. You then select Camera Roll and tap on the thumbnail of the screenshot to select it. Now tap done at the top right of the camera roll page and you'll come back to the forum where your screenshot will download just below the bottom of the message box. Tap on Full Image and the photo will be inserted into your message just after the position of the cursor. Now tap post reply and your post with screenshot will be complete.
IMG_2929.PNG

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To make a screenshot, press and release the power and home buttons simultaneously. To post that screenshot, tap the upload a file button at the bottom of the message box. Then tap photo library in the pop up that appears.

I think we are at cross-purposes here. You are talking about how to do this on an iPad (or some Apple device). I am using a PC and I want to be able to post an image from my PC onto the page of a Forum Post.

I upload my image to OneDrive.
I get a URL to access the image.
I left-click on the little picture icon in the menu above the reply page.
I enter the URL.
I left-click 'Insert'.

All I get is a square box with an 'X' in it. No photo inserted.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Use the Upload File button at the bottom of the text entry box. It should allow you to browse for the image on the computer and add it.

The URL method is a hassle, even when it works. It depends on getting a direct link to the file. A link that ends in the file's name and extention. It's almost impossible to get that kind of link from a cloud service. They tend to give special links ending in complicated and indirect codes that identify the file, like "http . . . /uioek385490djio39" instead of "http . . . /file.jpg"

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think we are at cross-purposes here. You are talking about how to do this on an iPad (or some Apple device). I am using a PC and I want to be able to post an image from my PC onto the page of a Forum Post...............
No photo inserted.

OK - I asked you to post a 'screen capture' from your PC iTunes program showing the 'bar graph' of your iPad storage (like in my post) - here are the steps: 1) Do a screen capture on your PC (I'm no longer on that platform but use to use Snag-It - assume you know how to perform a screen capture?); 2) Next start to write your reply - when ready to insert an image, place cursor at end of message and select 'Upload a File' (first pic below); 3) Your file should then be 'Attached' once uploaded - hit 'Full Image' to have the image open in your message (rather that appear as a small thumbnail - 2nd pic); and 4) You should then see the uploaded file as an icon like in the last pic. Hope this helps. Dave :)
SShot1.png
SShot2.png
SShot3.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 11.07.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 11.07.21 AM.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 362

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
1. Yes it's a 16GB iPad Air
2. O/S is 10.2.1
3. Yes I want to free some memory
4. Yes I use iTunes on my PC
5. Storage Bar
View attachment 76171

OK - looks like you're getting the hang of it - congrats! :) Below you posted my storage bar - not a problem - because your other screen captures show that you have 3.52 GB of storage free, so you are in pretty good shape for a 16 GB iPad. Now if you click on each of those top 3-4 apps, you can see how much is stored in their 'Documents & Data' (see my Zinio example previously) - I suspect by deleting some of that data you can free up more space, if desired - let us know your thoughts. Dave
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 7.11.27 PM.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here's a different storage bar
View attachment 76177

OK - looks like iTunes is reporting 6.8 GB of 'free' storage (often a discrepancy between what the iPad states vs. iTunes) - also notice the majority of your storage in the 'Documents & Data' category - again, you can likely lessen this amount by the advice I gave previously. Dave :)

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whatever the actual amount of 'free' storage it must be a bit better than the 455 MB I had when I first posted ;). I am amazed that the space is all taken up with apps. How to the poor music addicts get on syncing their PC music library onto their iPad? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help folks. It's been interesting.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Whatever the actual amount of 'free' storage it must be a bit better than the 455 MB I had when I first posted ;). I am amazed that the space is all taken up with apps. How to the poor music addicts get on syncing their PC music library onto their iPad? :rolleyes:

Well, rely on the sources we've discussed, i.e. that reported on iTunes and/or on your iPad - relative to those w/ large musical libraries, like myself (nearly 16 GB from my previous storage post), the answer is simple, i.e. buy an iPad w/ LARGER storage - my Air has 64 GB - my next iPad will be 128 GB - ;) Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts