What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Clean my Screen!

SEOThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have kids....kids have germs and dirty hands. What can I use to clean my ipad screen without hurting it?

CAn i use disinfectant wipes from Lysol? Or antibacteria wipes?

Baby wipes? Need some suggestions. But I want to kill all the germs for sure...

And yes I do NEED to get a screen protector I know this! :D

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just use a damp towel on mine. I think wipes that you mentioned would hurt the screen.

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple sells a cleaner called IKLEAR which is all they recommend for these type screens.

GaurhothW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cleaning the screen with a high quality microfiber cloth will remove the vast majority of germs (and of course dirt/oil). You want a cloth that feels Slightly "prickly", meaning it uses very fine split fibers. The smooth cloths are worse than useless.

Occassionally i will transfer a drop or two of water to the screen and wipe with the microfiber cloth. Never had any grime that didn't remove... Even the grime from my 4 year old :)

spgary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wear glasses and use lens cleaning tissues which are available at optic stores. I have been using the same now for my iPad screen which already has a screen protector. Works for me

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The lcd wipes are great but i only recomend em with screen protectors..

Ive used a micro fiber cloth with the pad and no issues.

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a cheap-o screen protector, which collects fingerprints worse than the bare screen. I don't mind trying different cleaners, because it could only damage the screen protector. I have had good results using Method brand stainless steel cleaner. It is more like rain-x or spray-on car wax. It leaves the surface very slick for about a day and it stays cleaner for longer. I got it at Target for using on stainless appliances.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cleaning the screen with a high quality microfiber cloth will remove the vast majority of germs (and of course dirt/oil). You want a cloth that feels Slightly "prickly", meaning it uses very fine split fibers. The smooth cloths are worse than useless.

Occassionally i will transfer a drop or two of water to the screen and wipe with the microfiber cloth. Never had any grime that didn't remove... Even the grime from my 4 year old :)

Yep... Those microfiber cloths are magic. A couple of wipes and all the greasy finger prints are gone.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Baby wipes work really well...

That said I religiously cleaned my screen for the first month and gave up during the second. Now I never bother from one week to the next........and in a house of nurses lol.
But I do try to avoid licking the screen.

CHT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sometimes use a tiny bit of Windex glass cleaner and an old silk towel that came with some Oakley's I used to have. Is that not a good idea?? :confused:

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sometimes use a tiny bit of Windex glass cleaner and an old silk towel that came with some Oakley's I used to have. Is that not a good idea?? :confused:
Over time chemicals can remove the coating used for capacitative touch screens. Use water very sparingly unless it just won't do the job and use other plastic lens safe stuff when you absolutely must.

Use a screen protector to get the best lifetime out of the iPad. I recommend a good anti glare protector as they also hide light fingerprints.

ipadaddict2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NOO Don't use any type of liquid!!!

I have kids....kids have germs and dirty hands. What can I use to clean my ipad screen without hurting it?

CAn i use disinfectant wipes from Lysol? Or antibacteria wipes?

Baby wipes? Need some suggestions. But I want to kill all the germs for sure...

And yes I do NEED to get a screen protector I know this! :D

"iPad users and all users of touch screens have something to get excited about. CTA Products, one of the world’s leading companies in microfiber cloth technology, has just launched a new generation of microfiber cloths, with far superior cleaning abilities, that will make dirty electronic screens a thing of the past. To learn more about the product please visit Cloth Addiction" ( the website is www dot power threads dot com / cloth addiction )

I found this not too long ago, and it works!!! No dirt, no fibers left on the screen and most of all it is SAFE and Eco friendly, I will never use anything else!!

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
From what I have seen in various reports, what you want to avoid is removing the oleophobic coating. If I read that right, the coating repels oily fingerprints. Not magic but works pretty well. Hence the guidance in the iPad guide to just use a slightly damp cloth to avoid removing the coating.

Most reactions

Latest posts