What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to back up to icloud

Meenie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep getting a message that my ipad hasnt been backed up to i cloud ... That it needs to be shut down, locked and charging to do so. I know how to turn it off by holding down the button then swiping when the message to shut down comes up, but how do i "lock" it? I have an ipad 3 with ios7 ?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad will lock itself after a time unless you have Settings > General > Auto-Lock set to none.

If you have an iPad Smart Cover or Smart Case from Apple, the iPad may lock itself when you close the cover; depending on the Lock/Unlock setting, found in the same place.

You can always force your iPad to lock by briefly pressing the power button.

If systems sounds are turned on, the iPad will make a click sound when it locks.

OP
Meenie

Meenie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad will lock itself after a time unless you have Settings > General > Auto-Lock set to none. If you have an iPad Smart Cover or Smart Case from Apple, the iPad may lock itself when you close the cover; depending on the Lock/Unlock setting, found in the same place. You can always force your iPad to lock by briefly pressing the power button. If systems sounds are turned on, the iPad will make a click sound when it locks.

Thanks, didn't know how to check that but in settings auto lock is set to lock in 5 minutes. And to lock when the cover is closed... Hmmm so wonder why it doesn't back up

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try turning off iCloud backups in the iCloud settings. Forcing a backup manually, when convenient, then keeping an eye on it over the next few days to see what happens.

The iPad should not actually be shut off. Just locked, charging, and be connected to a wi-fi network.

OP
Meenie

Meenie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try turning off iCloud backups in the iCloud settings. Forcing a backup manually, when convenient, then keeping an eye on it over the next few days to see what happens. The iPad should not actually be shut off. Just locked, charging, and be connected to a wi-fi network.

My icloud says the ipad will be backed up when it's plugged in, locked and connected to wifi.
It's always connected to our wifi, every night it's locked (by closing the cover), and plugged into the charger.

If I turn that off, how do I make it backup manually? Sorry to be a technotard, lol, but I am :

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not your fault. It's far from being as obvious as it could be.

Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup

You'll see a switch to turn the backups on/off. Under that you'll see a Back Up Now option.

If you continue to the Manage Storage option you can see what apps are storing documents and data in iCloud, as well as how much space your Mail app is taking.

Select your device from this screen and you'll get even more information.

The date of your last backup.
The size of your current backup.
The size of your next backup.
The ability see how much space each app will take to backup,
and to turn on/off which apps get backed up.

You can also delete the last backup, which will sometimes jump start the backup process again; especially if you then force a backup as described earlier. Hold in mind that if you delete the backup and then start a new one it will take longer. Usually the iPad only updates the current backup with changes, which is much faster.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
Meenie

Meenie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not your fault. It's far from being as obvious as it could be. Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup You'll see a switch to turn the backups on/off. Under that you'll see a Back Up Now option. If you continue to the Manage Storage option you can see what apps are storing documents and data in iCloud, as well as how much space your Mail app is taking. Select your device from this screen and you'll get even more information. The date of your last backup. The size of your current backup. The size of your next backup. The ability see how much space each app will take to backup, and to turn on/off which apps get backed up. You can also delete the last backup, which will sometimes jump start the backup process again; especially if you then force a backup as described earlier. Hold in mind that if you delete the backup and then start a new one it will take longer. Usually the iPad only updates the current backup with changes, which is much faster. Good luck.

OHHH thanks so much! I did see Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup, but didn't notice backup now!! I'll go do that! I sure appreciate all the help! :^D

Most reactions

Latest posts