What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to apply "Mail" Rules on my iPad3

Manodav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have successfully set up my "Mail" accounts on my iPad from from my Macbook. On my Macbook, I set up a series of Rules through Mail Preferences, to deal with certain offensive junk emails I was receiving - these Rules successfully dealt with these emails which, when received, are automatically deleted from my Mail. However, these rules do not seem to have been included on the Mail accounts on my iPad, and these offensive emails have been arriving in my Inbox on the iPad in droves, whereas they do not appear in the Inbox for the same mail account on my Macbook.

How can I get the Mail Preference Rules on to my iPad Mail?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad is merely a mirror of what's on the server. So, you can't make rules and such on the iPad. About the only thing you can do is set up the rules on the actual mail server so that mail is intercepted or cleaned before it even gets sent to the iPad. Sorry, but that's the way Apple designed the app.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are using iCloud, you can set up rules at icloud.com from your browser on the computer. They are not as versatile as the rules you can set up on the MacBook, but may be enough for what you want.

These rules apply on the server, so they will supercede (get applied befor) the rules on the MacBook.

OP
M

Manodav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the 2 replies.I would have thought that many more ipadders would have encountered the same problem.

On someone's suggestion, I removed the offending Bigpond email address from my iPad, and set up my gmail address as my default address on my iPad. Then set up a rule on my MacBook to forward all emails with my Bigpond address to my gmail address, the theory being that the emails would be filtered according to the Mail rules on my MacBook before being forwarded. But this didn't work. So, I spent 2 hours with a genius at the Apple Shop to try and work something out.

He came up with the idea to include in the forwarding rule a series of "sub-rules" requiring that only emails which didn't include certain words in the From or Subject fields on the emails should be forwarded. I then included a large number of common offending words which I had extracted from the many spam emails I had been receiving - there were many such words common to all the group of spam emails I was receiving.

This filtering worked for all existing emails in my mailboxes on my MacBook, but, guess what - newly sent spam emails which included the offending words in the From or Subject fields were forwarded to my gmail acct on my iPad (and my iPhone) so, I'm literally back where I started. I don't want give up my Bigpond address as this would require a vast amount of work changing a myriad of usernames

Help!!! I'm desperate for a solution

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts