What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to access local files on iPad?

susja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello.
When I was using Kindle Fire I used to use file Explorer application in order to browse local files.
Which application should I use on iPad to access local files?
Thanks in advance

Tom811

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't believe you can do that on an iPad, in the way you are describing.

OP
S

susja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tom811 said:
I don't believe you can do that on an iPad, in the way you are describing.

Well that's strange. Why I was able to see files in Kindle Fire and Droid phone?
Sometime it's very handy to browse some files or folder you downloaded or or check other stuff like movies, music and etc.
Don't you think iPad similar app?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's strange. Why I was able to see files in Kindle Fire and Droid phone?
Sometime it's very handy to browse some files or folder you downloaded or or check other stuff like movies, music and etc.
Don't you think iPad similar app?

The iPad is a different thing, thanks to Apple sand boxing of apps for security reasons. Unless you jail break it, you will not, and can not, access the file system.

The iPad is not the Kindle Dire or a Droid phone...

Marilyn

OP
S

susja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
The iPad is a different thing, thanks to Apple sand boxing of apps for security reasons. Unless you jail break it, you will not, and can not, access the file system.

The iPad is not the Kindle Dire or a Droid phone...

Marilyn

Mickey330 - I understand that Apple has security reasons to hide file system. Actually I don't care abut system files since I am not going to jailbreak my iPad. Actually it's not clear to me the term sandbox for apps.....
But my practical interest is this: let's say I downloaded attachment from email and I want open it in a while. Where should I look for it if I don't have access to any files? Another example: I want to find movies or music or etc that I downloaded while ago. Where should I look for it?
Maybe I just have wrong conception for it and the only option for it is to use iTunes?
I understand that's not android but it was so convenient to have access to my personal files that I'm a little bit confused.
Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 - I understand that Apple has security reasons to hide file system. Actually I don't care abut system files since I am not going to jailbreak my iPad. Actually it's not clear to me the term sandbox for apps.....
But my practical interest is this: let's say I downloaded attachment from email and I want open it in a while. Where should I look for it if I don't have access to any files? Another example: I want to find movies or music or etc that I downloaded while ago. Where should I look for it?
Maybe I just have wrong conception for it and the only option for it is to use iTunes?
I understand that's not android but it was so convenient to have access to my personal files that I'm a little bit confused.
Thanks

To use your e-mailed file example:

When you receive an email with an attachment, you can do a Quick View to look at the file. This is an Apple thing in the Mail app, where you can just look at the file. However, you can't edit it. So, Apple invented the "Open In..." feature.

Press and hold the attachment. You should get a pop-up titled "Open In" that will offer you a list of apps you have installed tht have the capability to open and/or edit that file. You select the app you wish to use and it will open with your attachment. Do note that if you don't have an app installed on your iPad that can open an attachment you've received, you will not get that "Open In..." option. You'll have to get something from the App Store to view that file.

When you open a file with a particular app, that app makes a copy of the file. So, you can always open that app and find the file (as long as you haven't deleted it from that app).

As far as music and movies that you downloaded, it works the same way. You have to use an app to do so and that movie or music file will be within that app. However, usually, you are not downloading music and movies from the Internet unless you know it and are in an app specifically designed to do so. You usually are only streaming, which is live action and is not being saved any where.

You do have access to your personal files. However, it's opposite from what you are probably used to from using a personal computer. On a computer, you can find a file and the computer will determine which program to use to open it. On an iPad, you open an app (program) and then determine which files it has you can view.

Hope some of this helps or clarifies. Let us know if you need more.

Marilyn

OP
S

susja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. That was very clear and answered all my question.
The last one I have ... Although it my different subject but I'll ask here anyway :)
Regarding my experience with Kindle Fire I didn't do movie streaming. All that I did ( and hope I'll be able do here as well) I downloaded movie on my PC , transferred it to device and watched at my convenience . Almost all of the movies I care are in .avi format. Well I had a Movie player that was able to play .avi and that was it.
Here I don't know which movie player I should buy which will play .avi and possible other formats.
I see this scenario: download movie in .avi format, transfer it to iPad using iTunes or Dropbox and play it using movie player.
Is it feasible?
Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it's very feasible. Two apps that I've used are OPlayer HD ($4.99, USD, but you can get a free Lite version to try it out) and AcePlayer ($2.99, USD). Between the two, I've not had any issue opening an .avi file (or other video files).

Of course, these are two I'm using - no endorsement intended and YMMV. There are plenty of video player apps in the App Store. Have a browse in there...

Marilyn

OP
S

susja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Yes, it's very feasible. Two apps that I've used are OPlayer HD ($4.99, USD, but you can get a free Lite version to try it out) and AcePlayer ($2.99, USD). Between the two, I've not had any issue opening an .avi file (or other video files).

Of course, these are two I'm using - no endorsement intended and YMMV. There are plenty of video player apps in the App Store. Have a browse in there...

Marilyn

Well I've bought VLC streamer in App Store. Didn't try it yet. I understood that it should allow to stream movie from my PC. I have Linux on my PC but it states it should work with Linux as well.
But not sure if it'll allow to play movie downloaded locally. I hope so :)
Thanks for respond

Pedro2nr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I myself love CineXPlayer.
cinexplayer-icon.png

While it is not free it does get the job done.

As for downloading and viewing .avi video straight from your iPad, try out iDownloads+
mzl.nqsqbuqs.175x175-75.jpg

I use iDownloads+ for all my downloads and I can:
*access all my downloaded files when I want
*share my files in the same Wifi network
*upload my files to dropbox

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To use your e-mailed file example:

When you receive an email with an attachment, you can do a Quick View to look at the file. This is an Apple thing in the Mail app, where you can just look at the file. However, you can't edit it. So, Apple invented the "Open In..." feature.

Press and hold the attachment. You should get a pop-up titled "Open In" that will offer you a list of apps you have installed tht have the capability to open and/or edit that file. You select the app you wish to use and it will open with your attachment. Do note that if you don't have an app installed on your iPad that can open an attachment you've received, you will not get that "Open In..." option. You'll have to get something from the App Store to view that file.

When you open a file with a particular app, that app makes a copy of the file. So, you can always open that app and find the file (as long as you haven't deleted it from that app).

As far as music and movies that you downloaded, it works the same way. You have to use an app to do so and that movie or music file will be within that app. However, usually, you are not downloading music and movies from the Internet unless you know it and are in an app specifically designed to do so. You usually are only streaming, which is live action and is not being saved any where.

You do have access to your personal files. However, it's opposite from what you are probably used to from using a personal computer. On a computer, you can find a file and the computer will determine which program to use to open it. On an iPad, you open an app (program) and then determine which files it has you can view.

Hope some of this helps or clarifies. Let us know if you need more.

Marilyn

Just thought I would mention Goodreader app since it seems to satisfy my Windows friends (I'm Windows too BTW) who want folders and being able to move files, etc. You can do all of this, open most files, backup in Dropbox--lots more. You might feel comfortable with it, being able to see all your files in one place, being able to organize them, back up in Dropbox AND Icloud.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Marilyn

I vote for OPlayer Lite since I haven't had any issues with it yet. Worth trying "free" first LOL

Diane

Basic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 - Marilyn,

That's the best explication I found so far, for users that are new to Ipad, and wonder where to find the folders and filesystem they know from PC.

Basic

Most reactions

Latest posts