What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many pay for 3G /4G SERVICE?

Photogrphr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the iPad for use in the house, so I can look at the Internet and play game here. I have iPhone that has 3G. That's enough

Kenm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Sprint MiFi Card. I have a couple of other laptops that I use as well. One with power for presentations and used as my main - another toshiba net book with a couple gig of ram for things I can't do on the Ipad like run Streets for scheduling - and the Ipad for face to face sales calls. I just keep the MiFi in a belt holster with me and basically have internet where ever i have cell signal. The Ipad addition is only a few days now but I have jammed it full of business apps and am a heavy road warrior user. Each machine has its purpose for me and the versatility of a mobile hot spot is good. Also use an iphone that can connect to it when I am in an area where Sprint coverage is better than ATT.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I pay for 3G service with Verizon and it's been a great advantage because I simply don't get reliable wifi service at my job or on the road.

Also, my wireless DSL modem/router died of old age three days before my school's semester ends and I won't have wifi service until the new modem/router arrives. Because I have 3G, I can work without interruption until it does.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I only use 3G when traveling on holidays, so I just top up my sim when needed.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan from AT&T, which I started on iPad 1 and now also use on iPad 2. 30 bucks and it auto-renews.

I've traveled cross-country and on other long road trips in the U.S., and to many cities by plane, and have found good service in every major city and in many places in between. Love it. I don't like to plan, and 3G makes winging trips amazingly convenient.

I never use wifi unless I know it's secured and know who else is using it, because I don't care to risk my personal and financial data. I also don't use company wifi, so that what's on my iPad stays private.

When I spend months abroad, I also buy unlimited 3G.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my android phone as a hot spot for free. Thanks T-Mobile :)

Nothing wrong with free wifi if you don't have anything sensitive on your device either.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with free wifi if you don't have anything sensitive on your device either.

If you're OK with risking having your social network, contacts, financial data, etc., hijacked it's "fine." Try googling "public wifi risks" and see how fine it is.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do for both iPhone and iPad.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What makes you think that your 3G is any less susceptible to hacking than wifi? I'd like to see your research on that.

On topic - I also have wifi only mainly because of the price difference and that I've never not found wifi anywhere when I'm out. in my part of the country there's Wi-Fi from places like Xfinity and AttWiFi and other services that are on all major roadways in all major shopping centers and places of business that I go. There's no restaurant or shop (or even public park) I visit that doesn't have public Wi-Fi in the town itself. In two years of using an iPad1 and 2 I've been without service for maybe a couple of hours total. Simply don't ever need the 3G service. And like a couple others have said I have no intention of paying for two 3G contracts.

You don't need to see my research. Like I said, if you google, you'll see plenty of technical experts saying it. If you choose not to believe them, oh well. It's your data; not mine.

Of course 3G can be hacked. You can only take precautions, no matter how extensive. With public wifi, you're at greater risk (again, check for yourself and see what technical people say). Say we're talking about cars and houses: If you're someone who doesn't lock his doors and I do, I'd say it's more likely a thief will access your property than mine.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand all that - all I'm saying is that there's EQUAL chance of getting hacked on 3G or Wifi. And what 'we' tech people can tell you is that most public wifi spots have very high anti hack filters these days. You're referring to a time several years ago when things weren't as secure as today. But that's old news. The Internet - no matter how you connect to it is just as susceptible to capture of financial info, etc - that is if your comparison base is merely 3G versus Wifi - which seemed to be the comparison you were making.

I wouldn't take tech advice from you given what you've just posted. All it takes is a google of a few seconds to find info on increasing risks tied to public wifi. Check article dates. There are plenty of current ones.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan from AT&T, which I started on iPad 1 and now also use on iPad 2. 30 bucks and it auto-renews.

I've traveled cross-country and on other long road trips in the U.S., and to many cities by plane, and have found good service in every major city and in many places in between. Love it. I don't like to plan, and 3G makes winging trips amazingly convenient.

I never use wifi unless I know it's secured and know who else is using it, because I don't care to risk my personal and financial data. I also don't use company wifi, so that what's on my IPad stays private.

When I spend months abroad, I also buy unlimited 3G.

I travel as well. Never plan because I fly staff.
I use 128 bit encryption vpn.
Typing this from the Cook Islands using restaurants wifi.
Also allows me to stream Netflix,hulu,vudu,etc in places like the train ride from Lugano to Rome or the Greek Island ferries.
And it comes in handy when using skype to still pay U.S. 2 cents per minute rate instead of this .88 cents per minute rate here in Rarotonga.(skype to phone)

I hear they have micro data sim cards for the Ipad in Europe now.

My niece used her Ipod touch to do her phone calls on skype and texting mostly but also email,surf,etc on any wifi with a vpn while backpaking through Europe.

In the U.S. it's grandfathered unlimited 3G all the way.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I travel as well. Never plan because I fly staff.
I use 128 bit encryption vpn.
Typing this from the Cook Islands using restaurants wifi.
Also allows me to stream Netflix,hulu,vudu,etc in places like the train ride from Lugano to Rome or the Greek Island ferries.
And it comes in handy when using skype to still pay U.S. 2 cents per minute rate instead of this .88 cents per minute rate here in Rarotonga.(skype to phone)

I hear they have micro data sim cards for the Ipad in Europe now.

My niece used her Ipod touch to do her phone calls on skype and texting mostly but also email,surf,etc on any wifi with a vpn while backpaking through Europe.

In the U.S. it's grandfathered unlimited 3G all the way.

Yes, VPN is key if you're using public wifi.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IGonz said:
I have $30/month grandfathered unlimited 3G.

Amen.

Yes, I have this for my iPhone 4. The new standard 2GB @ 30.00 for the pad ;'( via Verizon.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts