What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I to connect to our network?

Pkerr100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to connect to our network using an ipad? Not remotely but using an ipad instead of using a laptop or desktop. This network requires a user name and password. We have wireless so it wouldn't have to be a wired connection.
Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is there a way to connect to our network using an ipad? Not remotely but using an ipad instead of using a laptop or desktop. This network requires a user name and password. We have wireless so it wouldn't have to be a wired connection.

Well, your iPad (don't know which model you own?) has Wi-Fi wireless and I'm assuming the network you are talking about is broadcasting Wi-Fi - correct or am I misunderstanding your description above?

If indeed you are talking about a 'wireless' network, your iPad w/ Wi-Fi turned ON should see the network and the name shown, which is the SSID - the exception is that the router creating the wireless network can be setup to NOT broadcast the name, so you would need to enter it into the iPad's Wi-Fi settings.

As you state above, entry into the network requires a login name & password, so some type of security is being used (my router @ home uses WPA2) - wireless networks can also be setup to use MAC filtering, i.e. in which the MAC (Media Access Control) address of your iPad (kind of like its ID #) has to be put into a table in the router's configuration software.

Let us know if this makes sense and if I'm guessing right regarding 'what' you want to do; and I agree w/ TP, i.e. why not just ask the IT people who manage the network? Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The thing is, logging into a network domain (Windows) on an iPad isn't as useful as it is on a desktop or laptop. You can't browse for files, launch enterprise apps, or use internal enterprise websites.

What most business networks do instead is provide you with access to things like your email, outlook, and perhaps a few specialty databases (through apps). Your apps contain the necessary username/password, and come into the the network from the outside; perhaps using a VPN (virtual private network).

Enterprise networks usually install a profile policy that enforces minimum security settings. You never log into the network the way you do with a computer. The keeps anyone from just joining the network with any old device they happen to have.

That being the case, you can use any internet connection. But it has to be set up by the network administrators.

At least that is my limited understanding.

Most reactions

Latest posts