What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I save Notes - in the "notes" app?

notawonk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brand new to the ipad - a 2. I made some notes in the "notes" app that it comes with, expecting to be able to read them over the next few days. They disappeared on the ipad, altho they showed up in my email.

Same thing 2nd day. New notes. They disappeared.

What good are Notes for if they aren't saved? I wanted to be able to consult them in this handy notebook. If I want email I can send myself email.

How do I write myself notes and save them on this ipad2?

Much obliged for your advice!

notawonk

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine are always automatically saved (I don't email them). Try creating a test page, then press the + sign at the top of the page. You should get a blank new note with the first line of your test page just below it on the left hand side of the page. Touch the test page and it should open right up. To delete, touch the trash can at the bottom.

Congrats on that new iPad!

Reaction score
This behavior does seem very odd.

Notes should only be deleted, if you press the trashcan icon at the bottom of the notes.

In landscape mode, there will be an overview of all notes on the left side, if you are however in portrait mode, it will only show the current note, and you have to press on Notes in the upper left corner to view all the notes you have taken.

As to why your notes ended up in your email, this should only occur, when you press on the mail icon at the bottom of the note.

By itself, Notes does not delete notes, nor does it email them. Is there any chance, you may have accidentely done so, or perhaps someone else used the iPad in the meantime?

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use GoodReader, This app converts PDFs and can intergrate with Dropbox so you can save notes and documents and it will sync to your PC or anywhere where you have internet access. Big win for me as I have notes I update at work, home and on the road. This lets me keep all my notes!

Konnie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem. What I wrote in "notes" today has been E-mailed to me automatically. About 15 times to be exact. I also have ipad2.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Konnie said:
I'm having a similar problem. What I wrote in "notes" today has been E-mailed to me automatically. About 15 times to be exact. I also have ipad2.

Go into settings and notes, it should have default account and change it.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's right, in Settings, "default", the notes can be saved to/on the iPad, or to an e-mail account. Be careful here, if notes are saved by e-mail, and you erase that mail, it will erase it in notes as well. I set mine to "save on iPad".

Reaction score
This thread has been rather intriguing, so I have been searching for this mysterious option under Settings->Notes, but all it shows is an option to change the font. Deactivating all email accounts, in case those somehow interfere hasn't done any good either. There simply is no option to choose where Notes should be saved.

My iPad is probably broken :(

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
This thread has been rather intriguing, so I have been searching for this mysterious option under Settings->Notes, but all it shows is an option to change the font. Deactivating all email accounts, in case those somehow interfere hasn't done any good either. There simply is no option to choose where Notes should be saved.

My iPad is probably broken :(

DUMI, do you not have notes saved then. I use the default notes app all the time for those quick write down messages or a phone no.? I have the email option because I kept getting my iPhone out and then realising that I had saved the note on the iPad, which was invariably at home. My memory is not as good as it used to be.

There is no option to save it's automatic but I suspect you are winding us up again aren't you and I fell into your web again? 

Reaction score
To be fair, I have no clue where my notes are saved, there are only two notes in there, as that app gets rarely used.

Anyways, here is what the Notes settings look like. Am I just in the wrong section?

Attachments

• image-2212700407.png
    image-2212700407.png
    109.4 KB · Views: 677

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
To be fair, I have no clue where my notes are saved, there are only two notes in there, as that app gets rarely used.

Anyways, here is what the Notes settings look like. Am I just in the wrong section?

You have me stumped! I've also got default setting where my email name is put otherwise I would have copied it. Maybe I set it up when I put in email? Let me look again. It's going to be obvious.

Got it, it's in settings- it's in the Mail, contacts, calendar - then in your email. Mine is under btyahoo email name as mail and notes and under gmail as mail and notes and another gmail as mail, contacts, calendars.
Hope this is helpful to you but if you don't use notes!!! DUMI, I really thought you were winding me up, it's great to think I actually knew something you didn't but I won't gloat because I may still be wrong! Please try this and see if I'm right because I want to know!

Last edited:
Reaction score
So you're saying, I should simply turn on Notes in the following field? :)

Btw. none of the three email accounts have a Notes field, they only show Mail, Contacts, Calendar.

Looks as if Apple doesn't want their users to use exchange accounts.

Attachments

• image-2894692702.png
    image-2894692702.png
    181.2 KB · Views: 391

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a MobileMe and an Eclipse account and both are showing Notes. But I use Notes a lot and I've never had those notes emailed to me. I wasn't even sure what their inclusion in MobileMe and Eclipse actually meant...:(

Tim

Reaction score
Saving Notes to an email account works with any email account, except exchange one's.

Setting up a second gmail account for the exact same user account, but this time as an IMAP account works to synchronize the notes between devices.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There you go. I didn't have IPF when I set this up, it was a lot of toing and froing for me from the Internet. I deleted by accident once, never again! That section doesn't get touched if I can help it and I copied exactly from iPhone to iPad. I'd show you mine but I don't know how to cover up my email address. (now why did I have weird thoughts when I mentioned I'd show you mine!)

Most reactions

Latest posts