What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I make a web clip for Evernote

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
guthrien said:
Of course you can! I wouldn't be an Evernote fiend if I couldn't. You can really harness the power of your iPad browsers by doing a little Google searching for iPad and bookmarklets which are JavaScript bookmarks that increase the functions you can call on. Here's how to add an Evernote bookmarklet.

1. Open your browser to any page and save it as a bookmark.
2. After you've created the bookmark, go back into bookmarks and choose edit.
3. Change the name of the bookmark you just made to Evernote.
4. Clear out the URL underneath the name and paste the following big batch of text into the URL box:

javascript: (function()%7BEN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com';try%7Bvar%20x=document.createElement('SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new%20Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')%5B0%5D.appendChild(x);%7Dcatch(e)%7Blocation.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);%7D%7D)();

5. Make sure it's all there from JavaScript to ; without spaces. I had to add a space after "javascript:" because the forum converts it to a smiley!
6. Either select text and then hit your new bookmark (or don't select to clip the whole page) and a box will open near the top of the page. The first time it will ask for your login credentials, after that you will see a clippings page with area for your title, tags, etc. Sometimes it takes a few seconds so be patient especially for large selections.

You could try this bookmarklet from http://static.chrisbray.com/bookmarklets/#evernote.

It looks the same as the above on the face of it, but there must be something different as this version works for me but the above one doesn't.

Note set it up as above instructions.

Moderator edit: I added a space to this script at the beginning, right after javascript: This was to remove the smiley face that showed up when the forum software saw a colon and a left parenthesis together (forum default). A copy/paste removes those two symbols (you get javascriptfunction), which makes the script not work. For anyone who wants to try this script, remove the space when making the bookmarklet.

javascript: (function(){EN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com';try{var x=document.createElement('SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(x);}catch(e){location.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);}})();

Last edited by a moderator:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guthrien - I had a heck of a time getting it to work, there were a number of spaces though, but I got it in the end. Very good feature, thank you

Sent from my iPad using iPF

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea, listing it like that was not ideal, but I was nervous about linking to different sites. Glad it finally worked.

OP
K

Keith66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I have got the Evernote box up using a different browser and can copy the web page or the URL.:thumbs:
I know its a pretty basic question but I am new to Evernote and to IPad but how do I copy just part of the page as I don't see any option for doing that.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Keith66 said:
Hi,
I have got the Evernote box up using a different browser and can copy the web page or the URL.:thumbs:
I know its a pretty basic question but I am new to Evernote and to IPad but how do I copy just part of the page as I don't see any option for doing that.

When on your browser press on the area you want until the copy blue box appears, then size what you want and press the bookmark bar and evernote. The clip you copied will be there when the Evernote box appears, just press done in the box. Or you can bring up the Evernote box then select the area you want.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
K

Keith66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks leelai:eek:
That's absolutely fine.
There is so much to learn about the iPad and Evernote and other amazing apps and so little free time to learn.
Many thanks to all who have contributed to my leraning curve on this thread.

Most reactions