What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I change email server settings?

ptrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ISP changed servers, now I need to change the IMAP & SMTP settings for two accounts in both an ipad2 and a mini.

How do I change the IMAP settings, the ports, and the security settings?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it works the same as with my carrier, here's what you need to do:

Go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars, select the email account you need to change. Now tap the email address:
image.png

This will lead to the following page:
image.png

To change IMAP settings, select "Advanced" to change SMTP settings, choose "SMTP".
In Advanced, you'll find this:
image.png

You'll have to scroll down to get there. Here you should be able to change the information.
In SMTP, this is what you'll find:
image.png

Either you'll add a server (bottom), or it's possible to edit the primary server:
image.png

Hope that helps.

OP
P

ptrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, but that doesn't get me to the place where I can change the IMAP server setting. IMAP Path Prefix is a different setting.

I can set the new server settings if I create a new email account using the same email address but the new server settings, but I don't know if I'll lose anything by doing that.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The IMAP server was on the second screen shot, called Host Name. Tap it and change it to the new server/path.

Though, if this is an IMAP email server the easiest thing to do would be to delete the account and then add it again using whatever procedure your ISP recommends. Since all email is kept on the IMAP server, you should lose nothing.

Most reactions