What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I view wmv files in emails?

mknoebel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am enjoying my iPad very much. But I have been getting some emails from buddys that have wmv videos in them. I am getting a message that says Mail cannot open this attachment.

What can I do to view these??

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
on your windows device, if you have one. wmv is a windows proprietary file type. Tell you friends to use a universal file type if they want everyone to able to access it.

OP
M

mknoebel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
on your windows device, if you have one. wmv is a windows proprietary file type. Tell you friends to use a universal file type if they want everyone to able to access it.

Well, I can view them on my MacBook, so I know it doesn't have to be on a windows device. What I'm wondering if there is some way I can view these with any app available...

Last edited:
OP
M

mknoebel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went into an Apple store today and talked to someone there about wmv media. He said that I would not be able to view it on my iPad because it is Flash based. Sound about right?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went into an Apple store today and talked to someone there about wmv media. He said that I would not be able to view it on my iPad because it is Flash based. Sound about right?

lol, no not even close. wmv and flash have nothing to do with eachother. WMV is microsofts horrible proprietary mpeg container. H.264 is currently the most widely acceptable codec available. The container is pretty irrelevant....will you ever be able to play wmv on an iPad....no. Can you play it on a mac....yes, with either vnc or flip for mac....not standard.

WMV is a horrible streaming format...never use it for anything.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Well, I can view them on my MacBook, so I know it doesn't have to be on a windows device. What I'm wondering if there is some way I can view these with any app available...

He was right it is a Windows proprietary file type and the only reason the MacBook was able to view it was with a plug in app like or I think the new Quick time has the ability to play some wmv files now, but also you can have many different, thousand, of different video or audio codecs embedded with video files that "buddies like to include in e-mails"

That guy should be fired, one for being an embesol and not answering you correctly and two for not knowing the difference between Flash support or windows media formats.

You will need a Special app on the iPad or iPhone to play any thing else other than mp4v.

OP
M

mknoebel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Somehow I knew I should trust this forum more than the in store "geniuses"... :)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing to remember about in store "geniuses" is if they really were geniuses they wouldn't work in an apple store for $12/hr!!

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work for an Apple Authorized service center and you would think performing the actual service on these units, we would be called Apple geniuses not the Apple store guys, lol.

But Im Here to support the end user not Apple corporate. They seem to have a way to handel technology well enough on their own, employees on the other hand, well... ;)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an app for that. You might be able to do a search for one.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score

He was specifically asking how to play it from within e-mail, not an app that streams all the different file types, although the one you mentioned does that, its not what this topic is about.

AirVideo is rated a bit higher regardless of the app store ratings, just look about the internet and compare, but they still wont play it inside an email unless it is a video compatible with iPhone OS.

venado

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded an app last night for $0.99 that opens wmv videos right in the received email. The app is Azul and it has worked fine so far.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use 2 apps that work very well for viewing wmv files, OPlayer HD and yxplayer2. I know OPlayer can be gotten as a free test app (paid also available), but I don't remember about yxplayer2.

I usually start out with OPlayer, which works about 99% of the time. I switch to yxplayer2 for the others. With these two, I've never been sent a wmv file I can't open.

Oh, and make sure, if you get it, that you get the yxplayer2 as it's the one that works best with the iPad.

Good luck.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts