What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home button doesn't bring up red slider

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyone else have this problem? I can reboot when I use on off switch and home button at the same time but slider never comes up anymore just holding home button.

OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My understanding is that you hold down the home button (the one on the bevel with the square on it) for a few seconds to bring up the slider. If that doesn't work, then you can hold the on/off switch on the side silver part and the home key with the square to reboot which I just did a little while ago and that worked. Is this indicative of a bigger problem?

Reaction score
Well, therein lies the problem.

To reboot, you hold the on/off switch for a few seconds.
For a hard reboot, you would press both, the on/off switch and the home button.

Pressing the home button alone only brings you back to the home screen, but it will never let you reboot. That's what the on/off switch is for.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My understanding is that you hold down the home button (the one on the bevel with the square on it) for a few seconds to bring up the slider. If that doesn't work, then you can hold the on/off switch on the side silver part and the home key with the square to reboot which I just did a little while ago and that worked. Is this indicative of a bigger problem?

I'm afraid your understanding is wrong. Holding down the home button on any iPad has never brought up the red slider. You must hold down the sleep/power button. I apprecaite you maybe think you were holding home before, but I assure you this has never been a feature of any iPad or iPhone. You just have your buttons mixed up. Try holding down the sleep / power button now. After a few seconds the slider will appear.

OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow, thanks. Hard to believe that I can take apart any windows PC and put it back together and trouble shoot everyone else's computer problems. Thanks very much. :)

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just for future reference here is a screenshot from the manual. I been there and don't that my friend.

iFrog - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Attachments

• image-516866232.png
    image-516866232.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 800

Most reactions

Latest posts