What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi from a new member

Lek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have the original iPad and was wondering if any one knows an app that I can use to stop email spam! This is my first time in a forum so thanks for reading this.

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An app? No that's not what apps are

EDIT: apps are little programs that run separate from the OS, and do not interact with your mailbox

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have the original iPad and was wondering if any one knows an app that I can use to stop email spam! This is my first time in a forum so thanks for reading this.

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

There’s no real facility in the iPad’s native ‘Mail’ app to filter spam, this really needs to be done at your email service provider’s email server. If you tell us who your service provider is, we should be able to help you configure the settings.

There’s unlikely to be an app that could do this because the iPad places significant restrictions on how apps interact. So, for example, it would not be possible for an app to ‘pick up’ your email from the server, filter the spam and then ‘pass’ the filtered mail stream to the iPad’s native ‘Mail’ app. The iPad’s operating system, iOS, does not allow apps to interact in this manner - Apple call it ‘sand boxing’ the apps. The advantage of placing this restriction on apps is that an iPad simply cannot be infected with a computer virus because any virus could not affect other apps or the operating system.

The downside is that what you want to achieve - where the spam filtered email is passed from a ‘filtering’ app to the iPad’s native ‘Mail’ app cannot be accomplished. So, in order to achieve what you want, you’ll have to arrange for your service provider to undertake the filtering.

Send us some details - nothing personal of course, just who is your service provider for email (not your Internet service provider, unless they happen to be the same) and we’ll try to come up with some suggestions.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free from

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

Also the iPad2 manual is available at the Apple iBooks store. It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions