What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!!! My iPad2 has gone crazy!!!

Reaction score
I purchased my iPad2 brand new from Big W in December 2011. I have a smart cover and a silicon protective back cover. I also have a rubber tipped stylus. I have also purchased an Apple SD card reader attachment. Right you have all the background info. In January while trying to download photos with the card reader attachment it came up with downloading but wouldn't open the photos on the card. I disconnected the card reader and turned off the iPad. It then wouldn't shut down - the shutting down icon just kept going around. I then held in the home button and the off button on top for 10 seconds (or thereabouts!) and the machine shut down. About 1 month ago while using the iPad it suddenly started changing screens of its own accord, going in to apps of its own accord, went to the search screen and started typing random letters of its own accord. I took the silicon back cover off thinking this might be causing a problem and also took off the smart cover. I then shut down the machine, left it for a while and then turned it back on. Everything seemed to be back to normal. On Sunday it started playing up again and after a few times of turning it off the problem stopped. Then today it started the mysterious problem again and is still doing it. Has anyone else had this issue? I haven't dropped the machine or treated it in any wrong manner!! HELP!!!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

This is all quite strange. When you were downloading your photos, how long had you left it for? If you have a lot of photos it can take some time to download them all and pulling out the card reader before it was finished may have caused the first issue.
I do vaguely remember someone else having the other problems you have, sorry but that's all I do remember. You say you have shut it down for this problem but I think a reset is probably a better option here. Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. Let us know how you go and if the problem persists.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Edcro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
had the same problem. Took it back to the apple shop the techie said it was ****kered and replaced it with a new like for like pad. At this moment in time you may be lucky as the Ipad 2 is now £329 and the Ipad 3 is £399 the original cost of your 2; you may be able to negotiate an upgrade

DVDKEV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this problem with my ipad. Typing on its own, changing page size, moving about in applications etc, I spent days working on a fix and have finally solved it.

I hope this benefits others;

1) Download latest itunes to a computer.
2) Connect ipad to the computer using white usb cable.
3) Transfer all purchases etc.
4) Disconnect from itunes.
5) go to settings on the ipad and choose the General option, scroll to bottom and select Reset.
6) choose erase all content and settings.
7) reconnect the ipad to the computer. wait for itunes to find the ipad.
8) on the ipad select set up as new ipad etc until it shows the icons.
9) on itunes select restore ipad.
10) leave itunes to download the latest software. it might take 30mins. dont touch it.
11) when the download is complete it will restore the ipad with latest software.
12) go to settings and switch off Bluetooth. turn off Multitasking gestures. select keyboard and turn off split keyboard. turn off the following too; auto correction, auto capitilisation,check spelling and shortcut.

that's it, ipad should now be problem free.

post here if this helps you.

ttelliwka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem after my ipad was dropped, typing on it's own, moving in and out of apps, etc. I found this site and followed the procedure listed to reset and reload it. Unfortunately it did not seem to correct the problems initially. I gave up and set my ipad aside since I didn't have the insurance and was trying to decide it if was worth fixing or just getting the new ipad mini for a few dollars more. It sat for a month until my daughter wanted to use it. I let her play games on it, telling her she could use it until it started freaking out, which it would do after a bit of use and then we'd shut it off. She was satisfied with that and began using it frequently. The more she used it, the longer stretches of time it went before it started malfunctioning. Then after another month or so, it quit messing up altogether with the exception of the keyboard was squirrley in that it would double and triple type letters you entered so you had to constantly go back and erase and retype. After a while that settled down too for the most part and I bought the Apple bluetooth keyboard and use that mostly now and have little or no problems. I just wanted to post this to maybe give someone else hope because I thought mine was completely toast but somehow it recovered itself. I do think the reset instructions I got here may have helped so thank you for that!

Most reactions