What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! Autocorrect is sending me over the edge!

buffalowings702

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I accidentally typed my email address incorrectly ONCE and now every time I start to type my email, iPad tries to change it to that incorrect address! I cleared cache, cookies, and history and turned off Autofill in Safari, but it still keeps popping up! Can anything be done to stop this before I tear my hair out? I've tried ignoring it, but when I hit return to get to the next field in a form, it enters the bad address. Frustrating! Suggestions?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, welcome to the forum!

Second is the bad news. No one has been able to figure out how to disable this "helpful" feature of Apple's. Best suggestion I can say is to keep putting in (and using) the correct address and eventually, it will be at the top of the list. Or not ... Cause no one really knows how it works.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Marilyn

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to 'Settings', 'General', 'Keyboard', then UNcheck 'Check spelling'.

I did this as, like you, could not find out how to make it "unlearn" an incorrect spelling.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I too finally got tired of the autocorrect and turned it off completely. Before doing so, I had not really realized how "stressful" the current implementation really is.

Hopefully Apple will improve it in the not so distant future.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I accidentally typed my email address incorrectly ONCE and now every time I start to type my email, iPad tries to change it to that incorrect address! I cleared cache, cookies, and history and turned off Autofill in Safari, but it still keeps popping up! Can anything be done to stop this before I tear my hair out? I've tried ignoring it, but when I hit return to get to the next field in a form, it enters the bad address. Frustrating! Suggestions?

If you don't want to give up auto-correct completely, you might try touching the "x" in the corner of the suggested completion bubble. Don't know if that will get rid of the erroneous address permanently but I've found it eliminated a bizarre email address that kept popping up. YMMV.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Ypu cam reset the dictionnay keyboard in General-Reset...

Also, i found out that you can edit/add new words to the dictiomnary by going in General-Keyboard

But I disabled the autocorrect as I often need to write in mixed language (english, french), and the dictionnary just gets in the way. I have to be more careful on typos, but at the same time, I don't have the surprise of having "other words" changing the meaning of the text.

VicoPad addict!

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DrHouse said:

Also, i found out that you can edit/add new words to the dictiomnary by going in General-Keyboard

But I disabled the autocorrect as I often need to write in mixed language (english, french), and the dictionnary just gets in the way. I have to be more careful on typos, but at the same time, I don't have the surprise of having "other words" changing the meaning of the text.

VicoPad addict!

LOL! I seem not to be the only one writting in Franglais...if I left the autocorrect on my iPad would go nuts !

Sent from my iPad using iPF

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Yptcn said:
LOL! I seem not to be the only one writting in Franglais...if I left the autocorrect on my iPad would go nuts !

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mets-en!

VicoPad addict!

H

hazi1610

This thread has been very helpful to me. Think I will turn off auto correct now. Means I will have to correct my own mistakes but at least I won't have it putting the wrong word into a sentence. Lol

Thanks to the OP for starting this one.

From Alison, Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse said:

VicoPad addict!

I don't see how to edit the dictionary. There is option on mine under keyboard.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If your jailbroken you can download 'manual correct' (I think it's called) and it will pretty much do the opposite of what the iPad does now; it will keep the current word you type and will only correct it if you click the suggested word.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
jduncan said:
I don't see how to edit the dictionary. There is option on mine under keyboard.

That's what I was talking about. Seems you can add your own dictionary in there...

VicoPad addict!

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
That's what I was talking about. Seems you can add your own dictionary in there...

VicoPad addict!

A post from smnevans on another forum:

"The user dictionary is designed to help people writing Japanese or Chinese. It allows users to pre-set which Chinese characters appear when they type a phonetic version of a word. It's commonly used for names of places and people and is a standard feature of most character based input systems and, as such, is a very welcome addition to iOS.

Entering words in here will neither add them to the auto-correct dictionary, stop them from being underlined in red or enable any Text Expander like features."

Judging from the structure of the Japanese keyboard "Edit Dictionary" installed in mine in which there are two data fields: "Word" and "Yomi (reading)," this would appear to be accurate.

In other words this feature could be used to make the international dictionary remember English words but a knowledge of either kana (Japanese) or pinyin (Chinese) would be required.

Example:

To get this to remember your email address you could add the following entry which I have confirmed to work:

Word: [email protected]
Yomi: じょん

Switching to the Japanese international keyboard (one tap) and typing じょん will convert to [email protected]. Then one must tap at least once again to return to the English keyboard.

In a way then, yes, one can add one's own dictionary using this feature, though it would have to do with (auto)correction rather than spellchecking. And, it is only useful for those who know kana or pinyin.

Last edited:
H

hazi1610

Sonicrobby said:
If your jailbroken you can download 'manual correct' (I think it's called) and it will pretty much do the opposite of what the iPad does now; it will keep the current word you type and will only correct it if you click the suggested word.

Great, just installed that, much better, thank you :)

From Alison, Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts