What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello... new user, new to forum, need help!

Ant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just received my shiny new iPad, well its not mine, I have bought it for my dad...

I want to set it up for him and hand it to him on his birthday all set up and working linking to his email account and wifi etc. However I note I have to connect it to a Mac/PC and download the latest version iTunes etc... and ultimately I guess if I do this via my own laptop it will assume I am the one registering it (for me) and it will try and use my account etc and sync with my account and apps etc etc...

Is there anyway of avoiding this and me being able to set it up for his account (if he has one)?

What advice does anyone have, or could anyone point me in the direction of a topic that covers this issue?

Many thanks

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What a good son you are!

Basically, you only need to connect your (his) iPad to iTunes one time to register it with Apple. He can always sync it to another computer after it is officially his.

As far as setting up his email, this may be a bit of a sticky wicket since you will need to know some personal information that he may or may not want you to have, namely his password.

In order to set up his account, you will also need a credit card of some type and this is another area that only you can address within your own family dynamic. One thing you can do is activate the account with an iTunes gift card.

As far as setting it up on your home WiFi network, as long as you know how to address your system's security, this should not be a problem.

I know this doesn't sound very helpful, but thats my 2 pence worth!

OP
A

Ant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you... I think you have answered my question pretty much as I wasn't even happy to connect it to my PC...

PS: love your signature...

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you!

I don't know how practical it is for you to get to one of the Apple stores in the UK, but they can perform the registration process for you on one of their in-store computers.

Most reactions

Latest posts