What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from down under

ozgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I have had my iPad for some time now and love it! My main aim in joining is to find out how to maximise it's use whilst travelling. In particular I am after the latest advice on being able to connect in the US and the fine details of the whole micro sim, non US credit card drama!
Thanks.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used my iPad all over the west coast last December - most hotels and some locations (cafes, restaurants, libraries, etc) have wifi access (either free or for a charge.) Not sure what you mean by non-US credit card -- I bought a disposable phone and SIM from Best Buy on a prepaid scheme, and it worked fine. (But not a microsim for the iPad, however.)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I second that last post. You'll find no problems in locating WiFi access almost anywhere in the US. Even the smallest motel has WiFi these days and most franchise outlets (restaurants, stores etc) have them too. I notice the comment about non-US credit cards; if, by that, you mean is there any problem with using a non-US card in the US, then the answer is there is no problem whatsoever - they're accepted without question in any store and you can use them to get dollars from an ATM.

Remember, if your need for a 'phone is simply to make calls, then you can use Skype on your iPad when you're in contact with a WiFi network. Your GSM/3G/iPad micro-SIM will work fine in the US too, but the roaming charges are usually very high. You can buy a pre-paid mobile broadband SIM quite easily - getting a micro SIM is slightly more difficult, but you can buy a 'cutter' that will cut a standard SIM down to a micro SIM (since the circuitry in a standard SIM sits just beneath the SIM contacts, the rest is just plastic and can be cut off without fear. Some people have even done this using kitchen scissors!).

Tim
Scotland

OP
O

ozgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.
I don't want to use my Aussie 3G micro sim because of the aforementioned roaming charges so intend to purchase one upon arrival.

Another thread discusses this:
(Traveling with the iPad)
and I have gained a lot of useful info from bits and pieces here. There hasn't been much recent activity though and just wondered if there was further confirmation that this plan works? i.e. purchasing the micro sim with the pre-paid VISA and using hotel etc address. Sounds more complicated than it needs to be! I purchased micro sim in Auckland airport and was online in 10 mins when we travelled to NZ but different security issues I guess.

I know there is lots of wifi in the US but we will be staying in self catering accommodation and also want to be able to use it whilst in car so would like to be able to utilise the 3G.

Then crossing into Canada looks like a whole new ball game......!

My husband is travelling to Boston later this month, could he buy the micro sim and the pre-paid VISA when there and we could just have 'ready' for when we arrive in June to activate do you think? (Are they readily available in somewhere like Boston?)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Most reactions