What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headphones

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What kind of headphones do you all use. I use my Beats Solo HD headphones but looking for something more portable. What are you guys using?

m_wheeler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use monster turbines, great headphones and especially at the gym with my iPhone they are ridiculous

Sent from my iPad 2

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a set of Philips earbuds. They're the kind that go in-ear and have been replaced by something more current. They're great, though. I think they were about $20 at a Walgreens.

And yes, audiophile junkies, I know the difference between $250 over-ear headphones and $20 in-ear earbuds. These easily perform at the level of higher end earbuds for far less cost. I originally got them for running before I was in shape enough not to be discouraged by the sound of my own panting.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bose Quiet Comfort 3
qc3_si_lg.jpg

I've had them almost 3 years now and they are the best headphones I have ever had. Awesome clarity, nice lows without distortion, nice highs without being ear piercing and phenomenal noise cancellation....if you are standing next to me talking....I will have NO idea.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No question about the answer imo. If you're looking for "headphones" as distinguished from "earbuds," Sennheiser makes GREAT portable (foldable) headphones for considerably less than $100.

I've used the older model of the PX 100 for years and recently replaced them with the PX 100-ii. Gave my musician brother-in-law a pair of the PX 200-ii model for his birthday and he loves them.

The PX 100-ii is an open design. The PX 200-ii is an over the ear closed design for better sound isolation. Otherwise, they're identical and fold into a very compact package, much more compact than more expensive competitors and sound quality that will amaze you at the price.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-100-II-Ear-Miniheadphone-Black/dp/tags-on-product/B002SSHVEK"]Amazon.com: Sennheiser PX 100-II On Ear Miniheadphone (Black): Electronics[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-200-II-Headphones/dp/B002SP1QX0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308847858&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Sennheiser PX 200 II B Closed Mini Headphones with Integrated Vol Control (Black): Electronics[/ame]

P.S. I should say that if you're looking for rib cage vibrating bass, these aren't the headphones for you. If you're looking for accurate representation of music, they are.

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's worth noting that there are five variables involved in assessing headphones/earbuds.

() the kind of music/sound being reproduced
() the connection between the source and the listener
() the capacity of the listener to discern differences in sound
() comfort and convenience
() personal taste

The bottom line is that a tin can on a string is probably sufficient to listen to an old Jack Benny program (which I admit is a guilty pleasure of mine) or much of what passes for popular music. A Mozart symphony, on the other hand, requires either a set of headphones/earbuds tuned for such music or a pair of highly flexible (and usually expensive) phones. The bass heavy character of much current popular music has led to development of a number of models that provide an interesting experience but sacrifice subtlety in favor of heart stopping thumping. To each his/her own.

Wireless headphones will not sound as good as wired headphones. Period. If the difference is not apparent to you see item #3 above. That's not a snide remark. If you hear the difference you hear the difference. If not, it's because your ears/brain aren't triggered by more subtle differences in sound. Content yourself with enjoying the freedom of wireless headphones. It's not an insignificant advantage. If you're like me, you put up with cursing the damn wires because every bluetooth headphone I've ever tried sounds like a 1965 Princess phone.

If portability is a primary requirement, be prepared to sacrifice some in terms of sound. And if you listen to music in noisy environments the fact that noise cancelling phones tend to "flatten" the sound may be unimportant since you couldn't hear the subtleties anyway.

For earbuds, my priorities are that they sound VERY good and stay in my ears. That means they're going to be uncomfortable after awhile and so the sound better be worth it.

For listening to music on my iPad, portability is a priority so I use the Sennheiser model in the above post or a pair of Shure 215 earbuds stuck far into my ear canal. If I'm flying I use the Shure's that isolate me so completely that we'd crash before I noticed or the Bose Comfort 3 noise cancelling headphones. (They degrade the sound compared to comparably priced phones w/o noise cancelling but they do an effective job of reducing the roar of the engines.)

In short, it is always a compromise. My six year old's favorite earphones have pandas on the cups. For her, looks trump sound. Hopefully, she'll retain enough of her hearing by the time she's 25 to make a more sophisticated choice. :)

Last edited:

appleipadgeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AJAYS FOUR is good enough for me, good sound quality, not pricey with mic control, tangle free cables and wide range of ear buds.

John Daerson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bose Quiet Comfort 3
qc3_si_lg.jpg

I've had them almost 3 years now and they are the best headphones I have ever had. Awesome clarity, nice lows without distortion, nice highs without being ear piercing and phenomenal noise cancellation....if you are standing next to me talking....I will have NO idea.

Ya not doubt, brand that you are using is of superb quality...will definitely go for it..:) i have heard the reviews from many of my colleagues and friends..they are quite appreciating..!!

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All depends on where you will be using them and what you will be listening to i.e. music genres, movies, games etc?

A great all rounder for me and folds up in a supplied protective case are AKG k450s. Reduced now the subsequent Q460 have been released which are effectively the same but with the built in iPhone controls. They are comfortable on ear headphones, suppress external sounds well and fold up for storage/travel. They also sound very good - I wouldn't have bought them otherwise.

Most reactions