What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have I bricked it?

H

hazi1610

I have ipad 2 , 16g wifi only, jailbroken. Ios 5.1.1 which I am selling.

Needed to reset it to factory state. Decided to do it via settings, erase all content and data. But, it's stuck on the screen with the circular progress thing.

Does this mean I have bricked it?
Alison

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Needed to reset it to factory state. Decided to do it via settings, erase all content and data. But, it's stuck on the screen with the circular progress thing.

Alison

G'day hazi, I know nothing about JB (and am too scared to even think about it) But can you do a full erase via iTunes rather than the iPad?
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hazi1610 said:

Alison

No, it doesn't, but you have discovered one of the unbreakable rules of jail breaking. Never use settings on your iPad to do a restore of your jailbroken iPad. A restore for a jailbroken device must always be done through iTunes on your computer, while your iPad ID connected by the docking cable.
The way to get your iPad working again is to follow this tutorial, which, if followed exactly, will result in a functioning iPad running on iOS 6.0.1.
http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Last edited:
OP
H

hazi1610

Thanks, managed to get into dfu, hooked to itunes etc, downloaded latest ios version but right at the end got "ipad could not be restored, unknown error"
Alison

OP
H

hazi1610

I looked at link provided but cannot find the ios6 file that itunes downloaded. Am about to burst into tears.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hazi1610 said:
I looked at link provided but cannot find the ios6 file that itunes downloaded. Am about to burst into tears.

Are you following the instructions in the link in the exact order listed? If you change the order of anything, it won't work.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

In the tutorial that scifan provided a link to, there is a step to download the software for your device. It provides a link to get the software from this forum.

You can't use iTunes to download the software from that link, you need to download it with a browser (any one you want - except Internet Explorer).

So, try again? Honestly, you can't "brick" it (only hardware faults brick an iPad and those are very, very rare).

Marilyn

OP
H

hazi1610

Ok, thanks for the help everyone. In the end I gave my friend remote acces to my computer and he sorted it all for me. I got myself way too worked up to be able to concentrate properly.

All's well that ends well, PHEWEEEEEE.

Alison

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't feel bad Hazi as these are expensive devices so it's understandable if you got worked up because something went wrong.

Glad you got it all sorted out though!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts