What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got my Mach 3 iPad case!!!

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I look forward to your review. Don't know if these cases are available in the UK

Mach3Composites

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem shipping to the UK, just sent a couple to the Netherlands last week. We have discounts in place with FedEx. Select economy air in the shipping options for the best rate.

Cheers!

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@MikesToolz: If you could also comment on how you got along without the case having a handle, that would be appreciated.

(In a different thread somewhere a while ago, I mentioned being more interested in this case if it had a handle. Mach3 said they had looked into the idea. Although, now I'm not so sure I'd need a handle now...maybe two D ring attachment points would suffice.)

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I'm uploading a video of my distractive testing of the case.

I recorded a long video of me talking about the case and when I thought about it, however I used the webcam on my PC and it only recorded the video. I'll have to record that part over again.

• Overall the case is nice and sturdy. Its like putting armor around your ipad, you don't worry about damaging your iPad while its in the case.
  • Carrying it around without a handle is OK, however I think It would really be nice if some type of handle or strap was an option. I think its possible to add a small loop on the two front buckles to then be able to attach a strap.
  • I also noticed how they added rib lines on the inside of the case under the padding for added strength.
  • Also, I found myself using my iPad less often then when I just had it in a folio case just because with the folio case I could flip it open and use the ipad then close it. With the Mach 3 I would have to open it, take the ipad out and find a place to set the case down.
  • The weakness when it came to falls was when the case fall directly on its side. The case would then open up, however the impact was still absorbed by the case.
  • after dropping it a few times, throwing it down the concrete stairs and dropping bricks on the case the scratches were not very visible. from a few feet away the scratches seemed to just disappear.
  • It would also be nice to see the price of the case came down a little bit, but I have no idea how much it actually costs to manufacture carbon fiber cases.
***Note**** also note that the company that makes these cases says nothing about water resistance, I just decided to test this on my own since the case had a rubber seal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GETk4DsByY

Last edited:

Mach3Composites

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A quick side note. We have increased the thickness of the padding in the cases that we are now molding.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@Mach3Composites - Does that mean an iPad with a slim case will no longer fit into the case? In parrticular, I'm asking if my iPad w/ Hard Candy Sleek case will fit inside.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really liked your test Mike:)

It had me chuckle when you hosed that case...:D

Seriously now, the clasps that hold it shut should have some sort of lock because when the case flexes on impact, those suckers pop out. If there had been a heavier iPad inside it would have been worse.

All in all I like that case it looks to feel nice. Is it polyethylene resin over the carbon fiber or polyurethane? It doesn't sound like acrylic or epoxy...

Mach3Composites

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Mach3Composites - Does that mean an iPad with a slim case will no longer fit into the case? In parrticular, I'm asking if my iPad w/ Hard Candy Sleek case will fit inside.

Should still be OK. We added a little more padding so the concave back of the IPAD would mold to the inside of the case more. If you decide to get a case and for some reason it does not fit the way you want it to you can send it back and we will refund your investment.

Mach3Composites

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really liked your test Mike:)

It had me chuckle when you hosed that case...:D

Seriously now, the clasps that hold it shut should have some sort of lock because when the case flexes on impact, those suckers pop out. If there had been a heavier iPad inside it would have been worse.

All in all I like that case it looks to feel nice. Is it polyethylene resin over the carbon fiber or polyurethane? It doesn't sound like acrylic or epoxy...

I have to admit it was very comical. My favorite part was throwing the brick at it. The clear coat is polyurethane. The latches do have a locking mechanism that snaps into place. I think that specific impact flexed the case just right to cause them both to open. In the tests we have done the double redundency keeps at least one closed and the IPAD secure. Our vision was for style and protection, especially when you place it into a suitcase or backpack.
Great testing though and we will continue to evaluate the option to add more tension to the locking mechanism. Great questions. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts