What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Release TV Remote App for iOS Devices

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
google_TV.JPG

Google has just released its Google TV Remote for iPhone app, which was originally released for Android back in December. According to the Google TV blog, the app is compatible with iPad and iPod touch, and enables you to use your iPad or iPhone to control your Google TV. Using your iPad or iPhone as a remote with the app enables you to interact with your TV in all sorts of different ways, such as voice search, where you can search for your fave shows, actors, and films by saying their names into your iPad/iPhone’s microphone. The app also eliminates the time-honoured fight for ownership of the remote, as multiple iOS devices can be used at once as remotes. Could make for some interesting battles if you don’t all want to watch the same thing! The blog also points out that using your iPad or iPhone as a remote makes it a lot easier to change channels in the dark because the backlight makes the buttons much more visible than on a normal remote

Click here to download the free app: Google TV Remote for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: The Official Google TV Blog: Google TV Remote for iPhone

volcanopele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm, not sure I want to use my entire iPad screen as a remote... but my iPod Touch :) In fact I have two iPod Touches, an older second gen version and a newer 4th gen. I've given the app a try on the 4th gen and it works pretty well, much better anyway than the Logitech app that came out in November (mainly because it cared about remembering the on/off state of the TV and my Logitech Revue while this new app doesn't). Anyways, maybe I should install this on the old 2nd Gen and make that my new, touchpad remote for the TV :)

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assume you need to have Google TV for this to work (not sure what that is - do you need a separate set-top box?)

If it works throughout WiFi, what is the response-time? Has anyone tried it?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I grabbed it, confirmed it worked than remembered google tv doesn't really do anything thanks to hulu and the networks blocking it.

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It appears there are three ways to access Google TV
1) Stand alone TV equipped for Google TV = Buy new TV
2) Logitech Review = buy another electronic device to set near the TV
3) Sony has a blu-ray DVD equiped for Google TV (How many DVD players are sitting in the garage already?)

volcanopele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The speed is excellent, just as fast as the keyboard remote that came with my Logitech Revue (a small set-top box) and maybe only slightly delayed changing channels compared to my Harmony remote. I wish it would rotate to landscape mode when I turn the iPod touch, as it would work a lot better using two thumbs rather than one.

The more I think about it, the more I think I will just go back to using the keyboard. As much as I love my iPad and iPod Touch and their touch screens, I like to use my TV remotes without even having to look at them and this capability really requires a real remote with tactile feedback.

alexsmth114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(The more I think about it, the more I think I will just go back to using the keyboard. As much as I love my iPad and iPod Touch and their touch screens, I like to use my TV remotes without even having to look at them and this capability really requires a real remote with tactile feedback. __________________) 100% agree!!..

joomakramjutt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since it's illegal to stream movies you don't own the copyright to, and no one would want movies you have a copyright to, Apple probably wouldn't allow it.

Most reactions