What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google map overlays

Conbelrec

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In google maps the standard view in my area only shows property maps and roads.satellite view shows ariel photo.
Hybrid view does not overlay the two.how do I do this.I help a logger in the woods and this would be a usefull way to ensure we do not cross property boundaries in unmarked areas.i imagine it would also be invaluable in any property line dispute.i am unable to drop multiple pins on property corners(there are not multiple street address's for a 50 acre parcel)which would at least let me lay a straight edge on the Ariel view when I switch back from standard view.

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would definitely not be using Google Maps to determine boundary lines. It's not that accurate. You need to hire a professional surveyor who can come out with professional grade GPS units and surveying equipment and lay down the line for you (since you work with a logger, they should know this). The surveyor will typically walk through the woods with you tying ribbons onto trees to mark the line, and usually hammer in a post on any corners.

Google maps is not going to hold up in any line dispute. In the case of logging your land, even a discrepancy of 10 feet can mean thousands or tens of thousands of dollars (or more) in trees.

Also, it's worth noting that old ways of keeping track of property lines aren't really that great so it's typical to have some legal problems and property disputes. The deed for my land for instance says the corner is 25 paces southeast of the old apple tree (not overly accurate since it doesn't even say which apple tree....apparently there was only one way back in the day, but now there's about 12). I'm currently in a battle over that with my neighbor. If it wasn't for a gas line running through that corner, I wouldn't care, but it's the difference between getting paid for the rights and not getting paid. And I gots ta get paid.

Last edited:
OP
C

Conbelrec

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We do use a surveyor in most cases.We just are looking for a rough idea sometimes(surveyors do not work cheap).it is usually cheaper to sacrifice a few trees then pay one.I have compared the google property maps with known borders and in our area they are remarkably accurate!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What app are you using again? I don't see anything in either the Google app or the Maps app that does a property overlay.

Though if you are just talking about being able to drop pins and marking up the map, you might want to look at Skitch. Though the result won't be a nice zoomable map, just a picture.

Last edited:
OP
C

Conbelrec

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the Google Maps app that came preloaded on my iPad2.
Most,but not all townships in our area show the property maps in the standard view after you zoom in to a certain level.
Try zip code 13431 for example.If I could at least drop pins on two corners of a property and then switch back to satellite view it would give me a referance to work from.
I will take a look at Skitch- thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I see what you are talking about.

I don't see any way to use the Maps app: but I could use the MotionX GPS HD app. Instead of pins I created and placed waypoints while viewing the google map, the switched ti the satellite view.

MotionX GPS HD is a kind of catch all app for non-driving stuff. They have another app for that. I think you may find it more useful than the Maps app for your job. it even has a tool for estimating distances.

Most reactions

Latest posts