What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

goodreader

fastnfirm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how do I transfer a PDF from I books to goodreader. tried to figure this out but can't....thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Fastnfirm - welcome to the forum! :)

* Open Goodreader, select 'Manage Files'; an empty O will appear to the left of your files, select the PDF(s) file that your want to transfer.
* Options box to the left will open; choose '...Open In..'; select 'Send file "as is"'; then choose iBooks - should transfer the file into your PDFs in iBooks.

Let us know if the above works for you; if not, please post back to this thread for further advise!

OP
fastnfirm

fastnfirm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Hello Fastnfirm - welcome to the forum! :)

* Open Goodreader, select 'Manage Files'; an empty O will appear to the left of your files, select the PDF(s) file that your want to transfer.
* Options box to the left will open; choose '...Open In..'; select 'Send file "as is"'; then choose iBooks - should transfer the file into your PDFs in iBooks.

Let us know if the above works for you; if not, please post back to this thread for further advise!

I want to move the PDF from I books to goodreader,thnks

OP
fastnfirm

fastnfirm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for tip,however, I'm trying to go from I books to goodreader someone mentioned to email to myself but when I tap on the PDF in iBooks only the print box opens

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I want to move the PDF from I books to goodreader,thnks

Sorry - my eyes must have been reading backwards - oops! :eek:

Now I knew that Goodreader was indeed a GOOD app, but is iBooks as versatile? Not likely - just tried myself to go the other way on my iPad - all that I could do was open a PDF in iBooks and then select the 'out' option which had just 2 choices, either email or print - not of much help.

Have not checked iTunes to see if any file transfer options exist? Hope someone comes along w/ an answer - good luck!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, when the PDF is open, and you press the curvey arrow icon in the upper left - you don't get two choices; Email and Print?

If that is so, check to ensure you have a default email account established on your iPad. If there is no default, the iPad won't know which e-mail account to use. Please note this is only a guess on my part, because I honestly don't know why you don't get the option to e-mail.

To check for a default e-mail, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Scroll down the right side until you see the line "Default Account." Press that ">" icon to be offered a choice to pick amongst all your e-mail accounts.

Then try the iBooks mailing of PDFs again (cause, yeah, that's the only way to get ebooks out of iBooks - only mailing as it doesn't give you the "Open In..." function).

Good luck and I hope some of this helps.

Marilyn

OP
fastnfirm

fastnfirm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
excellent observation I think i removed the default acct ....on my way to set one up and see what happens thanks

CMills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Transferring my GoodReader book files from iPAD 2 to iPAD 3 - is there a easy way?

Hi guys, nice to have you around in a moment like that. I bought a new iPad 3 and trying to figure out how to transfer all my 3.500 books into the new one, without doing it one by one, re-creating all my beautifully folder arrangement. Please any suggestions?:eek:

Carlos

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi guys, nice to have you around in a moment like that. I bought a new iPad 3 and trying to figure out how to transfer all my 3.500 books into the new one, without doing it one by one, re-creating all my beautifully folder arrangement. Please any suggestions?:eek:

Carlos

Here are the options I can think of.

GoodReader offeres a way to connect your iPad to a computer using a server address. You can do this through a browser, but it's better to mount it as a server. You should be able to find instruction for both Windows and OS X (Mac) on GoodReader's site.

I have a Mac, so that is what I'll describe.

I just open GoodReader on both devices (an iPad and iPhone in my case) then choose the wireless icon. The two devices show me the IP address I need. In the Go menu on the Mac's Finder menu I choose Connect to Server and enter the address of a device, then the password for that device when prompted. I can then see my GoodReader content as a mounted drive. Repeat for the other device.

After that it's just a matter of dragging/copying files and folders from one drive to the other. It's wi-fi, so it is not terribly fast, but it works.

Or, there is a companion app for GoodReader called GoodReaderUSB. Both Windows and OS X are supported. You could use this to copy the folder to a computer from one device, then vice-versa on the other device. That's probably the fastest method, and given the large number of files you are talking about, maybe your best choice.

As a last choice (because it's slower and you might not have enough space) you could could upload the entire folder structure to DropBox, iCloud, Box, or another cloud service, then go to the other iPad and download it.

Most reactions

Latest posts