What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gmails Shrinking Inbox

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I setup my Gmail account as the Exchange account in the iPad Mail app for push notifications. However, I notice that every time I go to look at my Inbox it somehow shows less and less mail. Despite the fact that both the web browser and my Android Phones Gmail App show my Inbox containing dozens of emails as they should.

I can't find any option in the iPad Mail app that would explain this behavior. Is this a known bug, is the Mail app just not capable of showing the real contents of folders on Gmail/Exchange?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There has been a change in gmail recently. Look it up in the news section.

Try accessing it from Safari just to see the difference.

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go to settings and mail accounts you can set the amount of mail that you want to sync. I would go there and check to see how many days/weeks you are syncing. If you are only set for a few days than many of your messages will not display. Don't know if this will solve the issue but it is worth a shot.

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go to settings and mail accounts you can set the amount of mail that you want to sync. I would go there and check to see how many days/weeks you are syncing. If you are only set for a few days than many of your messages will not display. Don't know if this will solve the issue but it is worth a shot.

Jake, can you be more specific regarding "settings and mail accounts" that allow you to control the amount of mail you want to sync? Where located? Thanks,

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Jake, can you be more specific regarding "settings and mail accounts" that allow you to control the amount of mail you want to sync? Where located? Thanks,

Go to Settings; Mail, Calendar, Contacts; Click on the mail account. A little box will pop up with account info. At the bottom of the box you will see mail days to sync. You can change it there.

Keep in mind that you only have these options if you are using an exchange server and syncing through google sync. Personally I think it is the best way. If you are just using the mail app and inputing gmail credentials you aren't going to see instant push notifications or be able to sync gmail contacts wirelessly. If you need help setting up google sync see this website.

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

Hope that helps!

OP
W

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok got it working. Changing the setting made no difference. Apparently once Mail app has expired messages it will not get them back. I had to delete the account in Settings. I then re-added the account, changed the settings and opened the Mail App. Then all of my mail appeared as I expected.

Most reactions

Latest posts