What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gmail mails, but doesn't

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Gmail as my mailer on my iPad Air. It works just fine as a stand-alone. However, if I try to email an article from a newspaper (or rather the link to same) or a document from DocScan there is no result.

Is there some setting I have fouled up? I have just reinstalled Gmail and I think all the setting look okay. What should I be looking for?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check in your Settings app, under the "Mail, Contacts, Calendar" line/category.

In there should be a line titled "Default Account." See if you've got one listed. If you use the Gmail account as the default, it should then work on apps on the iPad.

Marilyn

OP
Vagulus

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn

All is well there but it refuses to work. I just tried from "USA Today" with no luck.

It used to work under 0S8 but hasn't since the upgrade. I currently have 8.1.1

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Trying to find out what's causing your problem, I found out that Gmail, although set up as default account on my iPad now, doesn't send at all from other apps. It shows my Gmail address at first, but as soon as I enter an email address in the To-field, the Gmail address disappears without that I'm doing anything, and changes to the Outlook address. My Settings are right, I went through them as well. I suppose there's a problem with Gmail, or the new update and Gmail don't work together, if it worked before 8.1.1.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not done so, you might try deleting and re-adding the Gmail account. If something has changed on the servers this will refresh the accounts settings with whatever the new defaults are.

It also, sometimes, fixes things for completely unexplainable reasons.

If you are using 2-step authentication with Google, don't forget you'll have to get a new app specific password to authenticate GMail in the Account settings.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad to help.

Of course, mail services do occasionally stop then resume working, for no reason at all. So it could be a coincidence.

Most reactions

Latest posts