What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting email on sim card

Redlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please help a luddite in UK. I love my ipad2 but having problems when away from home. I have O2 sim card and when away the sign appears at top left of screen but I cannot get into facebook or email. This is sooooo frustrating. Help me plese.:mad:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm assuming that you can get email at home on your WiFi network. Can you access the Internet at all when you're away from home? i.e. if you use Safari, can you see any websites at all?

Remember, too, that the iPad will always try to use WiFi in preference to 3G and so, if you're in the presence of another WiFi network (i.e. you can see the WiFi signal 'fan' icon) then your iPad will be trying to connect to the Internet using that connection. Even if it can't, it (bizarrely) won't switch to 3G. So you might need to switch off the WiFi in 'Settings' and try again.

Another point - have you had the O2 SIM for long? Do you know whether it's been authorised yet? We've had several Members with similar problems who subsequently discovered that the SIM had not yet been authorised.

Tim

OP
R

Redlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Tim
thanks for that. How would I get the sim card registered? At least I now know I will be able to access email etc. Thanks again.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What type of account do you have? Is it a pre-pay - i.e. PAYG - or a monthly contract? Normally the service provider would do this automatically but it sometimes takes a day or two. That's why I was asking whether you've ever been able to access the Internet at all using this SIM and how long you've had the card for. If you've just got the card - say in the last day or two - you might need simply to wait a while longer. If you've had the card for a while, then you might need to contact the service provider. Sometimes the registration/authorisation 'slips between the cracks'. The fact that you can see the O2 signal bars (and presumably the network name) means the SIM card is in OK and the iPad can receive the signal.

Tim

OP
R

Redlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello tim, thanks for that. The sim card was put in when i purchased the ipad from the apple store six weeks ago. i have never been able to access the internet whn awa from home. All i want is to access the internet when i am awahy from home. I registered for payg and to pay on a dialy basis. I even called the o2 help line 7, yes 7 times yesterday. I got told to do different things each time and now my ipad has a little box ever time i open th elid,saying not access, i then press the dismiss button and i am on the front page. Very frustrated. All i want is for my ipad to be to how it was. At least i can still use it at home on my wireless router. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you set up the 3G in Settings? Specifically have you set up the APN? When you put a PAYG card in you need to set the account up with things like account name, password, APN etc....

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts