What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Visiting the USA from the UK. Which SIM card?

Taylorir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks - I have a iPad 2 with 3G and I live in the UK. I am going to the USA later this year on holiday and plan to use the iPad to keep in touch with family at home - facetime, emails etc.

I'm sure I'll be able to get some WiFi in some places but also plan to back that up using 3G. I'm visiting for 3 weeks and I'm going to Florida. Which is the best SIM card to get for this?

Is there any set up required when using 3G for the first time like this or is it 'plug and play'?

Thanks
Ian

Last edited:

iTom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Frequent Traveller

Hi Ian,
I'm from Brasil and I travel frequently to the US and Europe. My experience shows me that the cheapest way to go is Wifi, specially in the US where it's free on every Starbuck's, Panera Bread, Border's, and many more. Here in Brasil, where everything is more expensive than anywhere else in the world, our data prices are so high, that for an eventual use, in case of an emergency sometimes it's cheaper than buying a local sim card. All those temporary SIM cards are pay as you go, which means the highest rates. They are usually plug and play, if your device is unblocked. You will have to check with your carrier (iPhone and iPad). Also as you change SIM cards you have to reprogram the APN settings for the local carrier you purchased the card from to use data. There is a UK company that sells a "supposedly" world wide SIM card, but their prices are high as well and their service SUCKS BIG TIME! I tried to use their services, last year, on a trip to US and EUROPE (Eastern countries) and it did not work at all. Maybe they have improved their services, it's worth to check it out: XCom Global | International Wireless Broadband Data Plans - Stay Connected. Globally.
Good luck and enjoy your vacation!
Tom

Most reactions

Latest posts